Shut down effects

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, some of our liberties were not stepped on. They were torn from us. It was illegal and unconstitutional,
We will never again have our lives back as they were. This has set a precedent. We are being boiled like frogs.
well then guess i will just keep my opinions to myself and head in the sand........chow

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why? It’s just an opinion based upon what you know or believe-same with mine. I understand no reason to be mad at someone over an opinion, unless it is harming someone. Opinions can be changed with new facts-unless that person is brain dead on that subject.

So let me ask you (if you will answer), outside of slowing it down, what good was accomplished?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So let me ask you (if you will answer), outside of slowing it down, what good was accomplished?

In my opinion:

We did not run out of the capacity to treat and care for people. That's what I mean by stacked up like cordwood. We came fairly close down here and in a few other places. I'm talking about urgent care beds, proper equipment, and personnel to treat people. One way we did that was to postpone elective non-emergency procedures. That caused its own disruptions.

Some funeral homes were overwhelmed to the point that bodies were stored in refrigerated trucks. May not be the sexiest way but I thought it was a good solution. Retained their dignity as well as possible.

They still have a lot to learn but they have learned a lot on how to treat the patients. When this started they were just guessing. When to use or not use ventilators. What drugs in what dosages help and which are just wishful thinking. And other procedures that actually help, hurt, or don't make a difference.

As yesterday's news shows they still have a ways to go on reliability of testing, But we are much further along than we were to start. It's not just number of tests but their reliability.

They have learned more on how to slow down it's spread. How does it spread. That can be really important to the people caring for the patients. That could help a lot in places where people are most vulnerable, old folks homes and VA hospitals for example. Maybe even in how to open up restaurants, stores, and other places. There is a lot of local discussion right now on contact tracing. I think that's a coming minefield.

There will be some changes in society, some good and some bad. I think it is still too early to know how those will play out. One example. Many people (certainly not all) have learned a lot about educating their child. One member of this forum has posted about that. How does that change the future of education in this country, if it does? We may have our opinions and desires as to what we think should happen, but I think it will be a decade or more before we see what actually does change, if anything.

We have to open back up, I know that. I don't know how accurate these numbers are, supposedly about 80% of people nationwide are still working but I think that number is high. One of my boys was getting paid for unused sick leave and vacation before he was actually laid off and went on unemployment. There may be a lot of those still not counted, I don't know. Even if it is only 20% those people need to be earning money. To provide essential services governments need tax money. Hopefully we can open up responsibly, there sill be some trial and error in determining what that is. In my area we are so heavily reliant on the tourism industry this is very important. Our unemployment is 25%, above the national average. And we have a log of gig workers that may be uncounted.

I'll use this here, I've been holding back because I'm concerned it will hurt somebody's feelings but it does sum up how I feel about personal responsibility. Demanding liberty without accepting responsibility is not freedom, it's adolescence. There are two sides to that, our personal rights and the rights of our neighbors. How we balance those determines what kind of society we have.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quick question:: when in our history have healthy people been told to leave their jobs and shut down their businesses and go hide in their homes until everything they have worked for is gone?? This is the most sinister/evil thing that has been pushed on the entire planet. I personally have not missed a day of work during all of this, but what has been done in the name a virus that we now find out has a 99.9% survival rate is outrageous. Everybody get back to living and working just use better hygiene and if you are in the target population please take extra precautions.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
i see both sides of the effect the only 3 things i will say at this time....

1. i'm truly sorry for all the small business and their employees that are go though this...

2. we are all lucky that we live here, yes some of our liberties have been stepped upon.. give it time and we will be back to normal..

3. if all the stores are out of toilet paper, what is everyone using?:hide :rainbowflower
Baby wipes.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner I know it was somewhat hard to type that but thanks. Until people discuss things openly and without insults, nothing gets accomplished.
1). I do agree it slowed the infection in hot spots. In NO, Mardi gra, come on-death rate from diseases, fights, drugs, goes nuts every year. So should NO be shut down? As you stated, tourist area. Not going to happen.
2). I’m not sure country will ever be the same. Commerce is controlled by profit margins and not on what is best for consumer.
3). How we deal with people does show how we are as a society. Sick people need to stay home (quarantined) to not infect others. When there is a disease out break, it is up to the “at risk” to get away from it (quarantine). Those that are healthy need to be given the right of choice. They weren’t. For the “at risk” to demand everything stops, can be considered selfish and adolescent. (Depending upon your circumstances, how you view it)
4). In fairness, we have never dealt with this kind of potential problem in a few decades. A lot of panic, hysteria, anger,,,,,, was brought out.

I enjoy gardening, enjoy most on this board, and respect their opinions. I would hope that we can disagree without it becoming insulting-for the most part it has.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One wonders if this will be the event that finally turns Americans on to the bidet...........

As for my opinion, I am sort of mixed. As not only an increased risk but living in a house where EVERYONE is increased risk, it's sort of hard to stomach the concept of "you just stay locked up, and let the rest of us get on with business as usual.". I seriously wonder if, should everything open up again the pressure to find some sort of treatment will wane, that the public will say "I'm all right, so screw them." or even "Good, let the "drains" all die off". It sound callous, but I really think that is what could happen.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner I can understand that sentiment. I had 2 friends that died from a rare disease that only affects a small percentage of Swiss heritage. So NO money is spent on their cure.

Most (maybe all) have loved ones who are susceptible. Some of us are the “at risk” group-I am as is my wife. There are $$$ in the cure, so I see no way they will let this go.

Latest posts