Siam Queen Thai Basil slow to sprout?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Lemon Basil is sprouting like crazy. Five minutes after I planted the Lemon Basil I planted the Siam Queen Thai Basil. Both packets were new, and both were from High Mowing Seeds.

Does anyone know if the Thai Basil is normally slower to sprout? Both were planted near each other in almost identical soil and conditions, mostly just broadcast. I still have some left to replant. Thai Basil is a kind I have never grown before.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a Thai Sweet last year. Did not like it. The flavor was not that good to me and the leaves were pretty small. But your Thai may be totally different than what I had and your tastes may be really different. Good luck with it.

Basil is one that needs sunlight to sprout. I think either Chris or Catjac pointed that out in another thread. Broadcasting like that should have worked, especially since it worked for the other. I think I'd rig up a germination test to test your seeds, maybe using both types to get a side by side comparison. Say put some on top of damp paper towels?

I've had bum seeds before. Last year, my left over year old corn germinated a lot better than the corn I bought for the season. You never really know.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp, I guess I'll just wait a few days and try again. If they don't sprout I'll put something else in there. I've done that kind of thing before many times over the decades. A nice bonus doing that is sometimes a seed or 2 will decide to sprout much later anyway.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you just get bad seed. I keep track and contact the company for a credit. There is no way NO seed should germinate.
marshallsmyth said:
Wellp, I guess I'll just wait a few days and try again. If they don't sprout I'll put something else in there. I've done that kind of thing before many times over the decades. A nice bonus doing that is sometimes a seed or 2 will decide to sprout much later anyway.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These were not dropped one seed/one cell but they came out of a fairly densly germinated community cookie box a day or 2 ago.

DSC00444.jpg

I bet I'd give Ridgerunner's assessment on Thai Sweet. It could just be that I'm not adventuresome, enuf. Still, there are sweet basils for Italian pesto sauces and then there are the other basils. I'm very happy with Siam Queen but also trying Queenette this year. Siam
Queen just seems to be a cut above the usual "Thai Basil."

By the way, I like your lemon basil on salmon . . :p . of course, I like lemon verbena on salmon . . . dill on salmon . . . salmon just by itself is pretty good, too but I'm lucky not to be caught upstream without a plank!

Steve

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
These were not dropped one seed/one cell but they came out of a fairly densly germinated community cookie box a day or 2 ago.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/DSC00444.jpg

I bet I'd give Ridgerunner's assessment on Thai Sweet. It could just be that I'm not adventuresome, enuf. Still, there are sweet basils for Italian pesto sauces and then there are the other basils. I'm very happy with Siam Queen but also trying Queenette this year. Siam
Queen just seems to be a cut above the usual "Thai Basil."

By the way, I like your lemon basil on salmon . . :p . of course, I like lemon verbena on salmon . . . dill on salmon . . . salmon just by itself is pretty good, too but I'm lucky not to be caught upstream without a plank!

Steve
Steve I am a salmon freak I love salmon but being the only one in my family who like it I only get it when I go out to eat...Have you ever tried steaming it in your dish washer??? it is devine...clean the dishwasher first to get the soap out and then wrap fish in cheesecloth and go for it...a whole salmon takes 2 full cycles..my mother in law and her friend do this every forth of july... served with peas of course

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Pam!!

I've heard of cooking fish in plastic bags in the dishwasher!

Salmon cooks quickly . . . but, it even cooks quickly in an oven :p.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I reseeded the Siam Queen Thai Basil this morning. Some I brushed into the soil, some I tapped lightly, and some I left on top, then watered primo lightly.

I also planted more Red Salad Bowl Lettuce, and more Cilantro, then I got some used wood to make an extension for one of my beds! That'll take a few days to make and fill. No rush.

If the Siam Queen Thai Basil does not sprout, oh well. :caf I have plenty other stuff to plant there.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:weee

Siam Queen Thai Basil sprouted this time. It was what was left in the same packet.

I guess it just can't take a couple cool rainy days while germinating.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There you go, Marshall.

You are on your way to beef noodle soup, sprinkle of nice fresh bean sprouts, and 2 or 3 sprigs of Thai basil.

Don't forget to go easy on the fish sauce & HOT pepper!

Steve

Latest posts