Sick tree, I think

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a Rainer cherry tree (mom calls it a Queen Anne cherry tree) in my back yard. I am a renter. the tree is huge, at least a foot in diameter at the base and tall. It was severely trimmed back in 2004, at the wrong time of year I might add and not trimmed since. It has had some cherries on it each year since, but this year was a real bumper crop. Unfortunately, the birds got most of them. Anyway, I noticed today that the tree had some places that looked like it was weaping a tar-looking substance. I also noted that there were some strange formations coming out from the trunk. It actually looked like hardened sap, originally clear but now blackened on the outside, in the shape of a big worm that was flat on one side, complete with ridge detail down the length. These things are hard and brittle but quite thick, easily 1/4 inch, and looked to have been pushed out from the trunk, curling up as it lengthened. What is this? I've never seen anything remotely like this. Is it some kind of excement/byproduct of a worm? I mean it litterally looks like a clear, painted black acrylic worm, for want of a better analogy.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It sounds like the sap of the tree to me. Did the tree have an injury where this is happening?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I also think sap. I have seen what your talking about on a peach tree and it was sap. I think perhaps the ridges are just the 'squeezed through the bark, ring marks'