Silent Birds

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
As am insomniac I have been waking up at 4. I know that is morning to some, but that is around 4-5 hours of sleep for me if I am lucky. I bring out the dog often at this hour. The last few nights the full moon is in the east at 11 pm and just above the western horizon at 4am. What a sight.The birds are wildly noisy at that hour. A pleasant sound and sight. No answer for the original question, however.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm, did you check to see if there was an earthquake in that area?
Mt. Hood in Oregon is about 70 miles from here and it had some very minor magma activity a couple of weeks ago, but nothing since. I was at Portland International Airport ( about 20 miles closer to Mt. Hood ) last week and all of the birds in that area were all acting normally. :hu

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are talking California birds, what is normal for them? :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
i wouldn't worry about the robins. There are PLENTY at my property, and those that are better populations near You will migrate as they compete for nesting space.
It could have been a number of things. Maybe a neighbor sprayed and the young bird ate something the chemicals had come into contacdt with it.
Robins are Very sloppy nesters. They will nest in a bush close to the ground. One of my cats got the whole nest one year. They will nest on limbs that sway and lose all of their eggs during a thunderstorm. Still, they survive. Remember the lesson of the spotted owl: there were plenty of them, just not in the area that certain people used to tell us that they were becoming extinct.

Latest posts