Silica gel

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I ordered some of the orange silica gel beads and they sent me the blue kind that has cobalt chloride in them. I was wondering if the blue silica gel will work as well as the orange when it comes to drying desiccant tolerate seeds. I have a face mask and surgical cloves I can wear as well as a drying house that is well ventilated. They refunded my money and I hate to let free stuff go to waste. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use it to help dry corn seeds before long term storage. It turns from Orange to green when it's full of moisture.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll have to check the packs of silica i got for my seeds to see if they are blue or the orange. i didn't know there was a difference. there is something else i found when looking for them online that is an alternative, i thought it was clay based but i could be wrong since it was some time back i was looking for the stuff.

if i don't use all the packs my dh would be using them in with his gun storage or ammo to keep it dry. i'm sure there are other good uses for areas that may get damp.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There is a product called drying beads and it was created specifically for drying seeds but for the life of me I can't figure out how to order them.