Simple And Elegant

rainey

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
They paid $2500 AND gave you flowers????? Folks be rich up there. ;)

I recently saw a standard bernedoodle and fell in love with it but those suckers start around $3k and go up from there. Gorgeous and sweet dog but the last pedigreed dog we got (many years ago, we now do rescue dogs) was $900 for a yellow lab and we thought we were nutz to be paying that much...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recently saw a standard bernedoodle and fell in love with it but those suckers start around $3k and go up from there. Gorgeous and sweet dog but the last pedigreed dog we got (many years ago, we now do rescue dogs) was $900 for a yellow lab and we thought we were nutz to be paying that much...

I've always gotten free dogs until this last one...paid $100 for him and it hurt, but we needed him for a working dog here~he was of the right breed mix~ and so far he's been very worth it. Don't know that I'd pay more than that for a dog and he'd have to be pretty special...seeing eye dog or some such.

rainey

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You know what? You're perfectly RIGHT! But, man, these are ADORABLE mutts.

My husband calls mutts Heinz 57s.

I'm more or less with you, Beekissed. Things are generally more expensive here in Los Angeles but we've mostly gotten rescue dogs to give them a home and the agencies that save these dogs gets something like a $200 donation. Sometimes they kick back half of it after you demonstrate that you've had the dogs fixed.

But you know what love is like... I just saw this dog. It was an official companion dog of some sort (I just ran into the owner in a hardware store and it seemed rude to inquire once it was clear she wasn't blind). It was calm and gorgeous and I was a goner.

We've had some very active dogs. Now we're older and I'm ready for a dog whose energy level -- and pedigree -- is more like mine. A little on the ragged side but tryin hard to pass for something better.:love

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually get free dogs by word of mouth or local ads offering free to good home. The shelters ask too much money for used dogs...uh...previously owned...dogs, even around these parts.

Now individuals in the local ads have caught onto this money making scheme and, knowing their prices are less than the local shelters, they will ask for a "rehoming fee". I'd never get a dog from one of these people....if one is going to ask for a price for a dog, ask a price and don't call it a rehoming fee.

What is it costing them to give away a dog??? Here's how easy it is...you call the local free ads...free, mind you...put in your ad, take the phone calls, and then wave as the dog goes off your property. How expensive does that get, that one needs a fee for giving a way a dog they no longer want?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually get free dogs by word of mouth or local ads offering free to good home. The shelters ask too much money for used dogs...uh...previously owned...dogs, even around these parts.

Now individuals in the local ads have caught onto this money making scheme and, knowing their prices are less than the local shelters, they will ask for a "rehoming fee". I'd never get a dog from one of these people....if one is going to ask for a price for a dog, ask a price and don't call it a rehoming fee.

What is it costing them to give away a dog??? Here's how easy it is...you call the local free ads...free, mind you...put in your ad, take the phone calls, and then wave as the dog goes off your property. How expensive does that get, that one needs a fee for giving a way a dog they no longer want?

I agree. Many people are out to make a buck on anything.
I think the Craigs List rules are that animals can not be sold, only "rehomed" and only for a reasonable fee. The reasonable fee seems to be open to interpretation. I saw cats on CL that were asking a rehoming fee of $1500! :lol:
No, they didn't have the decimal point in the wrong place. CL can be pretty hilarious some times.

Latest posts