Simple Economics

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I'm all for cutting spending but starting at $40,000 too low. I'd be surprised if anyone made that little.

I'd start with all congressmen

1). Give up all automatic raises.
2). Lower salaries to 2000 year levels.
3). Give up all retirement benefits except SS. If they haven't been paying in, allow them to catch up.
4). No more federal health package. Especially all republicans who say that private sector does a better job.

This will only put a small dent in deficit but will set a trend of leadership instead of current "what's in it for me".

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
No. I'm all for cutting spending but starting at $40,000 too low. I'd be surprised if anyone made that little.

I'd start with all congressmen

1). Give up all automatic raises.
2). Lower salaries to 2000 year levels.
3). Give up all retirement benefits except SS. If they haven't been paying in, allow them to catch up.
4). No more federal health package. Especially all republicans who say that private sector does a better job.

This will only put a small dent in deficit but will set a trend of leadership instead of current "what's in it for me".
Than prepare to be surprised; I did not pick $40,000 arbitrarily. That number is $10,000 more than OldGal and I made last year, and we got by with NO(!) governmental assistance. No welfare, no food banks, no charity, just our checks. I'm proud to say that we paid our rent, utilities, food etc. and still managed a two day mini vacation to Galveston, Texas. Don't tell me you can't live on $36,000 a year. :(

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So you want to move all the government jobs to Texas? Try living in DC on $40,000. Try raising children, buy a house, live in a populated area on $40,000.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
http://www.theyworkforus.org/documents/FedEmployeesStats.pdf

All those sucking at the federal trough don't live in DC, aren't buying a house and don't have children. It's time for the government to do what the rest of us have to do, live within our means. The Executive Branch (That's the White House, folks.) alone had a payroll of almost $177 billion in 2012. Do the math.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want to be sure I'm clear on this.....All our active duty military personal take a 10% pay cut? They are federal employees. The very people who make sure you have the right to say something like that and you want to give them a 10% pay cut?

How about the Secret Service? The FBI? ATF?

All are individuals who probably make over 40K a year and put their very lives on the line and you want them to take a pay cut because you make it work at 36K a year? Seriously?

It always kills me these kinds of idealistic nonsense that people propose. Oh lets just take it from the boots on the ground, the people who do the heavy lifting, that put in the blood sweat and time away from their families so you can feel better knowing they have to pay up too.

How about we clear up the duplicate spending? The bridges to nowhere, take a serious look at how we're spending our money and make the cuts there and eliminate the waste before we start forcing the very people who make our lives safe and secure take the cut.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
1) Basic pay for an O-7 to O-10 is limited by Level II of the Executive Schedule which is $14,975.10. Basic pay for O-6 and below is limited by Level V of the Executive Schedule which is $12,141,60.

2) While serving as Chairman, Joint Chief/Vice Chairman, Joint Chief of Staff, Chief of Navy Operations, Commandant of the Marine Corps, Army/Air Force Chief of Staff, Commander of a unified or specified combatant command, basic pay is $20,937.90.

Source

No enlisted person or warrant officer (The REAL boots on the ground, risking their lives folk) earns even close to $40,000. Therefore, my answer is yes.

Idealistic? Wake up! The United States is bankrupt. Hard times require hard solutions.

As for the rest; To make an omelet you have to break a few eggs. Besides, Congress will never pass anything like this. It means that they would have to take a pay cut, and we all know that's not going to happen. This petition is kind of like the states that had petitions to secede. It's a wake up call.

One more point, what about the federal employees who are now out of work? I'll just bet the people who are selecting those who are laid off are in the higher tax brackets. With my plan they'd still be working, and earning a paycheck. Admittedly, not as big a paycheck, but it beats unemployment.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
There should not be such a thing as a professional politian - and they certainly should not be becoming millionaires in the process

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
canesisters said:
There should not be such a thing as a professional politian - and they certainly should not be becoming millionaires in the process
You got that right sister! Allowing lawyers to make the laws is like doctors making diseases, too.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh thats right the FBI, the ATF, the Secret Service, never put themselves at risk. They never work long hours away from their families to keep us safe eitiher. Nope just a bunch of alphabet soup in the overspending mess as you see it. I forgot we live in a dictatorship where only the military keeps us safe.

Idealistic? Wake up! The United States is bankrupt. Hard times require hard solutions.
And then you turn around and say this

Besides, Congress will never pass anything like this. It means that they would have to take a pay cut, and we all know that's not going to happen.
Which only proves you yourself see its as idealistic. Its not going to happen. Sure lets go sign some online petition because we're mad! We're angry and we're not going to take this anymore. Sure its easy to click a mouse a few times, put your name down and FIGHT THE POWER! Show them who's boss! I make 36K a year and I make it work! Why can't they? RAH RAH RAH!

Source

In 2005, "the total personnel cost (including both wages and fringe benefits) budgeted for the for the civilian workers in the federal executive branch was just 7 percent. Adding those who work for the postal service, in the federal government's other branches, and in the armed services brought the total to only 13.8 percent.

See 2 can play the "Lets quote webpages on the internet and link them here" game OldGuy.

Not only that but where would you cut? http://www.federalbudget.com/ Its all spelled out here for you.

See the breakdown? Its not salaries.

How about closing tax loopholes that allow major corporations to NOT pay their fare share in taxes?

Ear Marks?

Or wasteful spending seen here:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/10/50-examples-of-government-waste

Lets start there and see what happens.

But its easier to blame those people than it is to really look at the problem and see where things are going.

To make an omelet you have to break a few eggs.
You want to break a few eggs? Then move. Leave the United States. That's breaking a few eggs. I hear South America's pretty nice this time of year.

Latest posts