Six Month Old Chickens

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found some pullets on craigslist and plan on picking them up this Sunday. The listing says they are raised by a son and his parents and that they have just started laying. They are sex linked pullets. I can tell when pullets are young, like 3-5 months old but not sure if I'll be able to tell that they are 6 months old. I've heard horror stories of how people sell old hens and say they are young. Any way I'll be able to tell that they are in fact young and not old hens? The seller has responded very timely and courteously to my messages and they sound like honest folks, but you never know. They are $25 each but if you buy 4 or more, they are $20. This is a good price since they usually go for $30.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would think they would still be a little on the small side. Mary, do you have room for more chickens?
It is sometimes kind of hard to introduce strange chickens...be prepared for some chicken fights.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, smaller combs and wattles generally which will fill out more as they mature and sometimes flop over on a chicken breed like sex links which have single combs. Combs/wattles may still be small and pale too, as they aren't in full swing hormonally as layers at that age. Look at the combs closely to see if they look fresh and new. Older hens combs will look a little rougher from having had time to peck and fight, at least on a few of them. The birds should be a slightly smaller and a little less "fluffy" and full feathered, especially in the bottoms (aka. fluffy butt.) Flip one over, lift the tail and look at the vent. If they're still laying pullet-sized eggs, the vent will be tighter (LOL, I'm sure nobody really wants to have to go there, but hey...) And the pelvic bones will be closer together, but that is probably not something you will be able to tell without a lot of experience. Also look at the shanks of the legs, which should be rather clean and shiny. Older hens tend to get scaly leg mites after awhile and the scales of the legs may look a little dry and roughed up.

Hope some of that helps and glad to hear you found such a good deal! :)

ETA: Here's a blog post on the traits of red sex links, "Red Stars", with a pic of "fluffy butt" if you scroll down a little. Lots of pics of both pullets and hens. Good stuff. Black sex links are very much similar in appearance. Wasn't sure which color you were getting.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats Mary!! It's so much fun getting to know a new flock.
But don't knock the old girls! My entire flock is molting, so I'm feeding 24 birds and getting ZERO eggs! I stopped looking for eggs several days before I went on vacation. And, of course, no one was checking for them while I was gone. When I got back I noticed one of the really OLD girls sitting in the corner of the coop but I figured she was just keeping out of the mud (we've had days and days and days of rain). Well, this past Saturday I went in to get some corn and heard cheeping! That old bitty had hidden a nest of 9 eggs!!!!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary I had Red Sex link not only where they laying machines, but very friendly birds. Here at point of lay they go for between $15 to $20. Judge the people, if they seem like honest people and their animals are well cared for buy them. If you get a bad feeling or animals are in dirty living conditions run away.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm. Pullets at POL. I have been raising chickens now since 2011, and have learned much.
IMO-observations, pullets; smaller, skinnier than their adult hen counterparts, lays smaller eggs, bright red combs and wattles, lays intermittently, until they get the routine down, still unsure about the mating process as a whole. I am sure there are others, but can't remember right off.
I have 6 new pullets, from this years April hatch. They aren't laying as of yet, but their sibling cockerels aren't crowing yet either.
I generally watch for their combs to change, the roosters to start attempting to mate, their own curiosity in a nest box for laying, "practice" laying-exploring the nest boxes, etc.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary I had Red Sex link not only where they laying machines, but very friendly birds. Here at point of lay they go for between $15 to $20. Judge the people, if they seem like honest people and their animals are well cared for buy them. If you get a bad feeling or animals are in dirty living conditions run away.
Good one Nyboy. Thanks for the tip. It's probably easier for me to judge the people than the chickens!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. Pullets at POL. I have been raising chickens now since 2011, and have learned much.
IMO-observations, pullets; smaller, skinnier than their adult hen counterparts, lays smaller eggs, bright red combs and wattles, lays intermittently, until they get the routine down, still unsure about the mating process as a whole. I am sure there are others, but can't remember right off.
I have 6 new pullets, from this years April hatch. They aren't laying as of yet, but their sibling cockerels aren't crowing yet either.
I generally watch for their combs to change, the roosters to start attempting to mate, their own curiosity in a nest box for laying, "practice" laying-exploring the nest boxes, etc.
You've given me an idea. I'm going to ask to see their eggs!

Mary

Latest posts