six pack of fox gloves

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Short answer for where you are, and not knowing what kind is, you may get some to bloom late in the season, and the rest next year. They are beautiful as rosettes.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never grown 'em so can't offer any advice. But I can share a giggle...when I first saw the title and read the post, I didn't see the word "fox" and I wondered how the heck you were planning to grow gloves! LOL

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Ninny - I got a pack of foxglove seeds a while back and am planning to plant them - IF we ever get warm weather. I was out this weekend and got seduced by hollyhawks in 3" pots for $2. I'm thinking that I'll sow the fox gloves around the hollyhawks and see what happens. Simmilar flowers.. might be pretty.
I can't help much with the blooming though. The package of seeds (fox glove) says that they will bloom the year they're planted - so I would assume that started plants would be lovely this summer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Marshall is talking about the plant and its leaves. Personally, I focus on getting the gloves over my digitS' ;).

I should have an answer for you, Mary, because I have started seed and had foxgloves for years and years. Still, I am not sure.

Foxgloves both re-seed well and form little "sisters" around the base of the plants. I don't know how long those tiny, tiny seeds stay viable but I've had plants show up in surprising places. I guess I could be transporting the seeds around in my pants cuffs, too :p.

I've also bought seed several times and started plants. I associate foxgloves with my grandmother's garden and was fascinated with looking up into the flowers as a child. Yes, a foxglove flower is taller than a 3 year old :rolleyes:.

Back to your question: it depends on the maturity of the plants. Since they are in a 6-pack, I think they are young seedlings and, if our standard Digitalis purpurea, may not mature enuf to flower this spring. If they are nice little "rosettes" of leaves - maybe they are last year's plants and will bloom here in a couple of months. There is also 1 or 2 varieties (like maybe Canesisters') that can be sown in the spring and that will bloom in the fall. So, I don't have a good answer other than --- if they don't bloom for you this year, they will in 2014. And, if you allow them to go to seed (& maybe even if you don't) you should have more foxgloves every year right on into the future!

digit Alis :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rosette is used to describe the way and shape of some plants, or used to be the word for it.

Maybe it's changed NinnyMary.

Juvenile leafy non woody low growth with usually some outer leaves laying on the ground or held just off the ground.

Some plants remain in that form. Primroses are an example, and dandelions.

Verbascum Mullein are rosettes for a whole year, and then suddenly make a flower stalk that can be 8 foot high.

If they changed the word, please let me know.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ninny Mary's growing conditions may actually allow even some of the true biennial kinds to bloom late this season. The SF bay area is unusual like that, at least some places there.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping they will be at least kind of grown by June for Olivia's birthday party. I'm scrambling to spruce up my yard for the annual coop tour on May 5 and her party.

Digits..I've had them in the past but purchased bigger plants, bloomed that year, but have never reseeded for me. I do have the chinese foxglove which does reseed a little. I bought one for the other bed for that purpose.

Mary

Latest posts