six pack of fox gloves

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And Mary, I'm sure you are careful with all your kiddos and not letting them eat plants, but especially this one!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you purchased them from a garden center or home improvement center then I would expect them to flower this year. If you purchased them from a private seller, they may be first year plants.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Red, you give me hope. I bought them from a very nice nursery. Once I got them out of the pack and planted they looked much bigger. They're about 2 inches tall?

Mary

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew some foxglove from seed in 2011. They didn't bloom that summer. We had a mild winter and a few of them survived. They bloomed last summer and were incredible looking! DW loved them in her flower island. I hope they do as Steve said and reseed. Our winter can be so hard that I'm not holding out any hope. I'm with Red though. If you bought them from a nursery, they may very well bloom this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, if they are already forming a spike then they'll bloom this year. There are some foxglove that will bloom their first year, I think they are called dalmation, and there are some true perennial digitalis that come back every year. I have one which right now I can't remember the name...it's small and pale yellow and is more of a soft clump rather than a tall spire. It's short lived but it has come back for three years now. Well, I don't know if it's going to come back this year, it's still early.
Digitalis grandiflora is also a true perennial, and will also self sow. Digitalis purpurea is a biennial.

Does the tag tell you the variety?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistle, the tag says digitalis purprea and it's called "Foxy Mix". So will it bloom this year? The plants don't really look that small for being in a six pack. They look like they could have been in a 4" pot. Why would they sell them if they aren't going to bloom this year? :(

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The "Foxy" foxgloves are shorter than the standard foxgloves. I don't know if that means they won't bloom this year. I have some Foxys'
that I also bought in a sixpack, a few years ago, and I think I remember them blooming the first summer.

But I'm not positive.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, this is a super old post. Louis, that is a beautiful peach fox glove. Never seen that color.

I haven't grown them in a while. Maybe I'll see if I can find a place for one or two next year.

Mary

Latest posts