Size of tomatoe cages.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have read on here about different cages for tomatoes. I have heard people say they make them 3'. Is this 3' diameter or circumference. The cages at the store are about 12" diameter. Please clarify.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The ones I have that I like the best are made from concrete reinforcing wire and are 3' in diameter (roughly) and 5' high.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are a hogpodge of 18"-36". I made the 18" ones, and my mother in law said they were too small and my husband redid some. I didn't bother moving the 18" ones out. I assumed they would be good for my cherry tomatoes.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bid said:
The ones I have that I like the best are made from concrete reinforcing wire and are 3' in diameter (roughly) and 5' high.
Me too, I was given 5 of them by an old neighbor that moved out of state & was hooked on them, I add a few more each yr & plan to continue that until I have all i need. They last a long, long time too.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a variety of sizes of cages. My favorites are the reinforced concrete wire ones. I use those with my indeterminate tomatoes that grow huge, like Sun Gold and Sun Sugar. The cages are 2 1/2' dia. x 5 '? tall. I use the smaller store bought ones for the determinate tomatoes like Stupice and Celebrity. I also use the smaller ones for my cucumbers.

Latest posts