Skin rash!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I had a short bout of itchy face. Maybe not itchy but maybe sensitive facial skin. It bothered me and when I put my hand to my face my skin was very sensitive. It went away in a couple of hours and I didn't give it another thought. This morning it started all over again. Only this time it's much worse. Now I have tiny itchy bumps on my cheeks and one on my forehead. Let's see it's about 1:00 PM and I first noticed it at 5:00 AM. Any ideas? I washed my face with some of DH's Dove soap as soon as I noticed it but that didn't do anything. About 30 minutes ago I smeared on some Solarcain sunburn gel with aloe on and it seemed to help a little.

I did clean the chicken coop early this morning and I bred a pair of bunnies before breakfast. Once in a while I'm sensitive to cow manure when it's very hot and dry. I think it's the dust but I don't know if it's the dust on my skin or in my nose and lungs. I'm not one to run to the doctor for many things but this has me concerned. I have had chemo-therapy for malignant skin cancer twice in the past 10 years.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like something chemical... I've had that happen before with a sunblock or lotion that didn't agree with my sensitive skin. If it's only on your face and nowhere else, it's unlikely to be any kind of allergy in your system, but something that's made direct contact with your face and irritated the skin. Could possibly be something like the dust/dirt from the coop. Cleaning the coop aggravates my asthma. Unless you are also having trouble breathing or airway swelling or if it just plain bothers you, probably no need to go to the doctor.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that DH's Dove or DW's Dove?

DW buys Dove or its equivalent as a hand soap for me, while she uses Softsoap. I cannot! "Moisturizing with Aloe" or whatever - it is just an invitation for a rash. And, it is one of the milder choices she (DW who is allergic to latex & other things) tells me.

I think we are, first of all, just an allergic reaction waiting to happen!

A reaction damaging the skin from the inside can be dealt with a little by fighting off bacteria from the outside and, for me, giving the tissue a little anti-inflammatory help. Then, my skin will have a chance to heal. If it doesn't heal today or tomorrow, it will heal. It is all working against us, Smiles!

You probably shouldn't hesitate to use an antihistamine cream to allow the body to relax its over-reaction to whatever. Or, to use a steroid cream to help the tissue with the healing process.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Given your health history you should probably see a Dr. A cortizone creme is good for rashes otherwise. My Dr. said to always have benedryl on hand and in the car. His wife had an allergic reaction while traveling that became life threatening. They had trouble finding a drug store and hospital because they were in an unfamiliar area. This had never happened to her before. Be careful.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant DW.

It looks like I'm going to have to see a doc. My face is getting worse and now I have an outbreak on my arm. It's driving me crazy. I may have to make a run to the drug store and get some Benedryl. We usually have it in the bathroom but I guess we're out.

Awwww man! This is just what I wanted. :hit

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds like a form of contact dermatitis. if it is and it's flared up they might give you a type of steroid cream that should help it that is more effective than the cortisone. in the mean time i would suggest the cortisone 10 cream if none of the skin is broken yet.

and yes, i have gone though spells like this before. i had a huge flare up a couple years ago on my hands and it tends to travel further and further up my arms every time it starts up again. if i get the cortisone on it before the itching takes its toll on my skin i can stop it. the worst part is when the 'blisters' i get under the skin start to dry out and crust, the skin becomes very tender and will crack.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. Yes I saw the Dr. late yesterday and he thinks it may be an allergic reaction. I just got my prescription for a steroid topical ointment this morning. I have to apply it to my face, head, and neck twice a day. But now I have new outbreaks on my inner thighs down to my knees. This stuff is going to drive me crazy!!! I don't think I've ever experienced anything like this before. My face feels like I scrubbed it with a Brillo Pad and I'm swollen under my eyes.

One nice thing about taking the Benadryl tablets is that I get a few hours of good sleep.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
by any chance did you change up what you use for soap or laundry detergent? this happened to my mom when she recently switched to one that was concentrated and had perfume galore in it.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
by any chance did you change up what you use for soap or laundry detergent? this happened to my mom when she recently switched to one that was concentrated and had perfume galore in it.
DW and I have gone over and over my daily routines and we have not arrived at any definite cause. One thing that stands out is my honey intake. Even though I'm not very fond of honey I do like beekeeping. I harvested 190 lb. of honey last month and I have been putting a small amount on my cereal once in a while. But I have stopped all honey consumption for over a week now.

No change here but we do use homebrew laundry soap. Fels naptha, washing soda, and boraxo. We have been using it for four years so it's not a recent change.