slight Modifications in Pea Trellis

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of you have harvested your peas and taken down your trellis. Here, I've just completed one and am ahead of the peas on their quest for height!

I hope this one is completed. Putting a 4th layer of string doesn't work all that well. Things get a little twisted that far above the ground. However, the peas will have to decide for themselves how high they want to go.

There was only one modification this year. I did use some extra wire putting it together. Oh! I also put in a 2nd brace at the prevailing wind end of the thing. Tying the strings to the horizontal board at the top was the modification aimed towards this flimsy structure better holding the vines up when they become heavy with pods.

By a half dozen feet, this is the longest I've ever built a pea trellis. I extended some of the beds to 40' this year and sowed the pea seed in one of them. There is a lot of resistance to wind in this very windy location. I have to hope that it won't cause too much sagging here in a couple of weeks.

Steve
DSC00976.JPG

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks great. Does anyone know what kind of string or twine one can use that won't stretch and droop? I know baler twine, but I don't want to buy a mile of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forty feet of baling twine won't stay especially taut, So Lucky. I do buy one roll every few years but all of the twine in the trellis is re-used from a previous year.

The pea trellis only needs to get thru about 6 weeks. The sun will kill that twine if left much longer. We used wire for the horizontal and cotton string for crossing them, in the rose greenhouse. The beds in there were 150' long, posts were 2" galvanized pipe set in concrete.

I've got those crossed posts at about 8' apart and that, along with the 40' overall, is a bit of a stretch. Short strings tied more often wouldn't stretch as easily.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
About a week ago:

pea-trellis-july-jpg.3449

cellphone photo

And, now it's gone:

cellphone photo

The bed has been planted to green beans! I got them in by the 15th -- my "drop bean seeds or drop dead date." There should be lots to pick in September!

Steve
oh and lucky me! those are anise hyssop volunteers that were hiding in the pea vines. i only had one previously!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa, I have never had peas get that tall before. how far apart were those pea rows? how are they to pick planted like that?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a little tuff, Collector. It's a 4' bed and there are 4 rows.

I'll be honest ... DW and I start on both sides. Amazingly, I get thru my side first, drifting back to check my work repeatedly. Then, she comes over on my side and picks about another 30%. Seems I miss a few! I breeze through her side and comment on every pea I can find over there. If they were a different color than the vines & leaves ... I'm sure I'd do better!

Just one of the problems with trying to fit nature into predetermined shapes and sizes. This entire section of the garden is in beds with permanent paths and I'm out there with a whip and stool trying to keep the plants where they belong! Three rings around the vines and those peas outta there. "Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages. A new show each and every week!"

Steve

Latest posts