Slight weather differences make all the difference

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
To tell the truth I can't see any big difference in weather or temps from last year to this but something has changed. I planted around this same time last year but my Mortgage Lifter tomatos took almost three months to set fruit. This year they are barely in the ground and blooming already. My zuchini last year put out male flowers seems like forever before the female flowers showed up. This year the first round of flowers is almost half female. The only thing I see different is that we had a wetter rainy season but that's already done. It will be the hose from now on.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what csuses it, soil temperature, amount of sun, rain, whatever, but I usually have to grow something two different years here before I decide I will never grow it again. Last year my Black Krim's did nothing all year long. The previous year, they did great.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It can even make a difference in flavor, or something does.

The Fushimi sweet peppers I raised in 2009 were deliciously sweet! Last year, they were a little spicy, even started off kind of hot! . . . a little tough, too. I don't know how to account for it. The plants looked the same.

I'm giving those guys 3 years but I can only take so much disappointment.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now that you mention it my jalapenos last year were a complete bust. They made a lot of peppers but they had no bite at all. I hope they have a bit more kick this year. No I didn't plant the heatless ones by mistake. They were ordinary jalapenos.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only diffference up here is that we've had alittle more rain. It's been a soft rain with maybe 1/4"-1/2" at a time. I think this may be why my sugar snap peas and english peas haven't come up? :/I planted them in February.

Mary

ToxinFreeRainforest

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:
It can even make a difference in flavor, or something does.

The Fushimi sweet peppers I raised in 2009 were deliciously sweet! Last year, they were a little spicy, even started off kind of hot! . . . a little tough, too. I don't know how to account for it. The plants looked the same.

I'm giving those guys 3 years but I can only take so much disappointment.

Steve
I remember reading that you need to keep a good amount of distance between sweet peppers and hot peppers. Because of cross polination, the peppers become blah compared to what they should be - not sweet enough and not hot enough.

Due to lack of yarden space, I plant food crops in both the front and back yard. Last year the hot peppers were out front, the sweet out back (approx 50' distance). All I can say is the hot were HOT, HOT, HOT!! My sweet peppers are never anything to write home about, but still good enough to plant each year.

Just a thought - L

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HOw's your humidity? Usually we're humid here... but not until Summer. We've had lots of rain and high humidity early. Like you, I have flowers on my tomatoes already, and my first blooms on my summer squash are 1/2 female and 1/2 male. Even my first blooming cuke plant has a female flower already.... almost NEVER this early.

The only difference I can tell is more rain and humidity earlier then usual.

Maybe for you too?

Latest posts