slugs eating peppers

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm having problems with slugs eating the leaves off my pepper seedlings, is there anything i could do to stop them? I tried putting eggshells under the seedling but they eat the leaves anyway.
Love to hear your opinions ;)

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WELL since we have the same problem! ... beer in dishes in your garden will kill the slugs...

Or you can buy slug traps from lowes, home depot, whatever...but the beer in dishes is cheaper lol

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
WELL since we have the same problem! ... beer in dishes in your garden will kill the slugs...

Or you can buy slug traps from lowes, home depot, whatever...but the beer in dishes is cheaper lol
Oh that sounds like a great idea, always plenty of beer in the fridge !! :lol: Maybe i'll put small sticks so the slugs have easy access to the beer.

Thanks!! i will try that :hugs

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
lupinfarm said:

Oh that sounds like a great idea, always plenty of beer in the fridge !! :lol: Maybe i'll put small sticks so the slugs have easy access to the beer.

Thanks!! i will try that :hugs
Yep, they just slide on in..they're attracted to it and they drown/get stuck in it. We used to have nasty slugs at the old place (and clearly here too!) and we had those beer traps all over the garden.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Yep, they just slide on in..they're attracted to it and they drown/get stuck in it. We used to have nasty slugs at the old place (and clearly here too!) and we had those beer traps all over the garden.
Oh ok, i was thinking then when you get a whole plate of them would you feed them to the chickens, what if they get drunk...:gig
Yeah..i guess i'll just toss the plate in the trash.

Thanks Again for your help!!, :thumbsup

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put out the beer traps, they work OK but you have to keep filling the things.

Although it always struck me as sort of weird: If you saw a giant swimming pool filled with beer and dead bodies, wouldn't you be too grossed-out by the dead bodies to dive in? The slugs aren't, though, they jump in even when there are ten other dead slugs in there. I don't get it.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I read that putting coffee grounds around the base of the plant keeps slugs away.

You wouldn't be wasting good beer. :D

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
I read that putting coffee grounds around the base of the plant keeps slugs away.

You wouldn't be wasting good beer. :D
So put in Genessee Cream Ale, Schlitz or Coors Lite. Cheaper and definitely NOT good beer.

Latest posts