Slugs...

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahh, then you are all set! I know that the grounds are best put into the garden within 2 weeks. So you could save the grounds and toss them in every couple of weeks.
I throw the grounds into the compost heap as well.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beav. I dug out my D.E. -Ant & Crawling Insect Killer and it is a brand produced by "Safer", I was reading the pest it is used to control and low and behold there it is...SLUGS! (Also it said "Made in U.S.A." haven't seen that in a long time) Well, I'm not going to play dumb...I am dumb. I bought this bag, never opened at a yard sale, for a whole dollar, with the thoughts of ants. A nursery went out of business and they had a ton of stuff on a dollar table. Wish I had bought more... But, is that type okay for around my chickens too?

That type of DE is NOT safe for your chickens to be around. It is not food grade and has lots of silica that is NOT good for your chickens.

When you all go out to collect the slugs do you ever feed them to your chickens? Just curious:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RDRANCH said:
When you all go out to collect the slugs do you ever feed them to your chickens? Just curious:)
Yes, Yes and YES! I also throw some to the ducks. We find them in the evenings, even NOW in the winter! When we were digging out in the garden getting everything ready for spring I was pulling up lots of larvae. The chickens all came running I just kept throwing them out, one after the other... needless to say they all stayed right next to me the remainder of the day. There were also a TON of slugs hanging out on the fencing we dragged out from under the deck. The chickens had a good day. :p

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ugg! The worst feeling ever is a slug in your sandal.
In the dark, so you can't see it and get it out. Squish squish all the way to the house.

ironimagery

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well I am new to gardening. Last year I only had a tomato plant on a whim but have now been bitten by the garden and chicken bug.

Last year when the slugs found my tomato plant I took the ash from the wood stove (make sure it is cold) and sprinkled it around the tomato plant. This worked good until the first rain and then I had to renew it. I put the ash in a ring just a little bigger than the plant so it wouldn't get wet when I watered. Also make sure if any gets on the plant wash it off.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I suspect slugs are eating my seedling so I sprinkled my DE around. But I would love to know where you find slug when you are hunting them. Around the base, on the leaves?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Slugs are out at night mostly...early morning they are looking for a place to hide from the sun. One drawback of mulching round our plants is that it gives the slugs a place to hide. They are not big on getting a tan from the sun. :lol: You can take a piece of scrap wood, old pot, almost anything that will provide them dark and cover and prop it up slightly with a few rocks low to the ground. Then when you go out to check your garden, flip that cover over and see what you caught. It won't completely eradicate them, but it might make you feel a bit better to smoosh a few of them.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried the beer in a pie plate this year and only found flies in the morning. I did see slugs though. maybe they don't like the local micro brew.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hate when I get "slug slime" on my fingers, it won't come off!!
My chickens love slugs, thankfully the only place I have them is in the compost pile!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I invested in a biological slug control system....

1002604.jpg

Latest posts