Small Business Saturday

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
American Express is promoting shopping locally in small businesses Saturday, the day after Black Friday. I think that is a good promotion, the little businesses need a special shopping day too. Since I Black Friday shopped last night, I small business shopped today. I went to Thomas Mercantile, opened in 1913 and the lady who runs it now is 4th generation. She operates it as a gift shop, a tiny space packed full of gift items that ordinarily I wouldn't have much interest in........but it's Christmas and I need gift items.

I told the lady that I was shopping local businesses because of the promotion by American Express, but I paid cash. Most small businesses are hit pretty hard by the percentage points to process a credit card. Some don't even take American Express or Discover because the percentages of the sale charged to the business are so high. So if you go shop small businesses tomorrow, do them a favor and pay cash. It is illegal for them to charge you more if you use a credit card.

Thomas Mercantile is off the main highway. It sits several miles out of town, right on the railroad tracks, on Old Highway 35. This highway is a dirt trail that runs alongside the railroad tracks and over the years, as bridges have washed out, they have not been replaced. So there are short segments of the old highway that pop up here and there where the newer, more modern highway does not cover over the top of it. Now this newer more modern highway has been around longer than I have, so I suppose the Old Highway 35 might have started out as a wagon trail.

Thomas Mercantile has two narrow aisles that Mom's walker had a hard time navigating, but she enjoyed the experience. Mom enjoyed getting out of the house and out in the beautiful sunny day. I bought some gift items to put in a white elephant Christmas present, hope none of the men pick that one, unless they like candles and soaps. LOL It was fun to rummage around in the old building, a piece of history. The lady was kind and helpful, the store was brimming floor to ceiling with interesting things. Definitely not a chain store.

So what about you? Will you try to shop locally for some of your Christmas gifts? Will you try to support a small business in your town or area?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, Bay. My shopping tomorrow will be at the farm store to get fresh raw milk and what ever else I can use from there.

I was just counting up the small business stores in my town that have had to close their doors since "Bigmart" came to town. My favorite grocery store, a feed and garden store, book store, Dollar Store, Produce/garden store where I used to get the good cheap cheese, Fred's, Shoe store, pharmacy, hardware store, department store, and several others I can't think of right now. These stores may have been a little less convenient to get to or to shop at, but they are sure missed when they have to close down. Sometimes I see the former owner or manage of one of those stores eventually working in the appropriate department at Bigmart.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Amex also gives you a credit for $10 if you shop in a small business signed up for it.
Just go shop small businesses whether they are signed up or not. Support your local small business people.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm planning on going to 2 shops the next town over tomorrow. one is the yarn shop where i want to get some MadelineTosh Marino yarns and the other is a pottery shop called Salmon Falls Pottery. i want to get the top piece to my birdbath. i got the base really cheap the last time i went a few months ago so now i'm hoping they will have the matching top for just as cheap, i late birthday gift for myself. i may also take a trip over to the quilt shop to see if i can find something nice for my sister for a gift.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bay
So if I read this right you went Black Friday shopping on Thurs and small buisness Sat shopping on Friday!!!
Things that make me go HUH!!!

THANX RICH

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
Bay
So if I read this right you went Black Friday shopping on Thurs and small buisness Sat shopping on Friday!!!
Things that make me go HUH!!!

THANX RICH
Hey, it works for me!! :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the campers gave me a piece of Pecan pie that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDD I asked if she made it, but said it's from a small local bakery in Ukiah.

I'll most definitely going to that small shop, soon!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's something like 100 or 115 miles north of the golden gate bridge, straight up 101.

I think she said the bakery is called Schat's. It's across from the courthouse in the very middle of town. Ohhhhhhhhh such flaky crust! Rows of Pecans on top of sweet carmelly filling!

:drool

*slurp*

Latest posts