"Small Grubstake" Gourmet?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was surprising how similar we shop compared to this young person! Of course, she writes the BrokeAssGourmet.com blog ;).

How to grocery shop for one person (LINK). Washington Post

Of course, I have a greenhouse half full of Asian greens. There are still some storage veggies in the basement and in a cooler on the deck. I'll need to bring the cooler into the utility room again, overnight anyway. Nothing in the carport fridge or it would have frozen by now.

My advice for healthier would be to buy several lemons or vinegars and marinade some of that chicken, fish and tofu with soy sauce and a little oil ... avoiding most of the sausage ;).

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least,

I wasn't a Picky Eater like Natalie.

LINK

Steve
Too, kids figure out pretty quickly that being picky encourages anxious parents to pay a lot of attention to them: "Eat your food, Bobby, come on, you can get down as soon as you eat. Bobby, you are not eating. We will sit here all evening till you eat" Blah blah blah.
But Bobby will be given a junk food snack in an hour, so he knows he can wait it out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For all her interest in nutrition, Mom wasn't a very good cook.

However, she was the one to prepare the meal. So ... she would decide how many bites. "I don't like this!" "Just eat 3 bites." "Unhh, okaay."

I think one problem these days is soft drinks. Then, It cost a quarter for a bottle of RC cola at Christiansen's market. (Of course, I got 5¢ for each when I returned bottles :).) Once a month was about how often I was able to plunk down a quarter and glug down a bottle of soda pop. It ain't water, folks!

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As an adult, I'm not a picky eater as such , however... If I eat some cheese, yogurt, or cottage cheese ... I upchuck and / or get the trots. If I even smell peanut butter ... I gag. If I eat lots of veggies ... I gain weight. If I eat rice with any meal, I feel starved 15 minutes later. Since I came down with diabetes, my Doctor has sent me to a nurtitionist 3 different times over the years ... they give me a "balanced " diet heavy on veggies, cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese and peanut butter and to substitute rice for potatos even after I tell them those food items are a no no ! :barnie So, they tell me not to eat the cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese , or peanut butter AND substitute those items with more veggies and rice. What happens you ask ... I GAIN WEIGHT AND FEEL HUNGRY ALL THE TIME :th so, I feed the veggies to the rabbit then eat the rabbit. :ep Back to MEAT and POTATOS with a micro serving of veggies ( no rice ) and I loose weight. My inherited genetics tell me that I am a CARNIVORE !!! :thumbsup :plbb

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, as long as you feel good on that diet, and your blood sugar stays in check, I say don't worry about it.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is what I keep telling my Doctors and dietitions and they just shake their heads. I have now lost 40 lbs. that I gained by listening to them this past year. So, I now just shrug my shoulders and do my thing of being a carnivore and enjoying it. :drool :caf

Latest posts