Small spaces for corn

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How many stalks of corn can you plant per square foot???

I've never grown corn before but I wanted to try growing sweet corn. I got some plants from the nursery but the tag doesn't say anything about spacing.

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A square foot is not a lot of space, maybe 2 plants? how many square feet are you planning on planting? I plant mine in rows with a space on each side for watering, I don't plant them to close together even though I have seen it planted this way. I would say they should be planted 10" apart but I plant then a little closer maybe 8".

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have more then just one square foot for the corn. I guess I did word that kind of funny. I have about 3ft x 4ft (maybe more if I turn over some more soil) . I was just wondering how many I would plant in that area, or how far apart they needed to be.

So I can plant two per square foot?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In one square foot I fit about 4 plants. We plant them very close together to conserve space.

IME, I've found that planting them about 6-8 inches apart (plant spacing and row spacing) works just fine with very little, if any problems, with nutrient deficiency. Always plant in blocks tough. Better to have short rows than to have 2 long rows. This helps with pollination.

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you!

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
From what I know they need to be 6 inches apart. So figure it that way....you could put in 48. I might try 36 or so. If it looks too tight when they start coming up you can always thin them out.
Tink

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine in my place by the house are as close as OaklandCityFarmer's, and not too much further apart in the big garden. They look wonderful! :)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i just hoe the rows about a foot apart to walk thru and drop the seed maybe 6 inches apart. But if you dont need to walk rows I guess you could get closer.

Latest posts