Smoke water

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking at using aspirin to aid in speeding seed germination and found references to smoke water being the best for seed germination. OK experts. What is it? Does it work? How do you make it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Warning on aspirin, too much and it will kill germination. Learned the hard way........

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know. I saturated the water with aspirin, then dropped the seeds in. None of them sprouted. Too much acid. Tried different levels of aspirin at different growth stages, never observed any benefits. None of my trials would hold up to university standards.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I tried bong water but it just made them lay around and act goofey. :cool:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK I found some info on smoke water on the J L Hudson site (A California seed company.)
SMOKE and FIRE TREATMENT
Smoke treatment often helps germination of plants from fire-prone environments, particularly Mediterranean-climate plants such as many species from California, Chile, Australia, South Africa, and the Mediterranean region. For a list of genera that have responded to smoke treatment, click here: Smoke Genera.
Prepare a dilute smoke solution by adding one part commercial smoke flavoring to nine parts water. Either soak the seeds in this solution overnight (or until they swell), or water the pot or flat once with this solution. Smoke flavoring is found in the spice and flavoring or barbecue section of the grocery store . It comes in small brown bottles of liquid, called "liquid smoke" or "hickory seasoning". Look for the "all natural" type that lists only water and natural smoke concentrate as ingredients. "Wright's" is the brand we find out here in California.
Smoke treatment is still experimental, and you may have to try different dilutions. Let us know your results!
FIRE TREATMENT: Sow in a flat or pot and cover with several inches of pine needles or heavy straw. Burn this and leave the ash and charcoal in place, and water the flat as usual.

Here is a link to the site. They have a lot of info on seed germination.
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/Germination.htm

Latest posts