Smoothies for me ...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't drink smoothies. They are heavy and taste of raw vegetables. I'm not even much of a salad person. Generally, veggies need to be cooked or they give me gas ... I just made that up ... ;) because maybe you will feel a greater need to help me on this quest.

Keep in mind that I'm busy outside the kitchen, at this time of year! So, I will try to keep this thread alive so that I have more ideas to try for when I have more time :).

I am so pleased that I tried garden-fresh tomatoes as a soup, a couple of years ago. They have so much more flavor than the countertop-ripened tomatoes that I would usually be using for soup during the fall. Of course, either way it is likely to have more flavor than anything I could buy at the soopermarket! The nice mix of tomatoes that I have from my garden make such a tasty soup.

It does occur to me that it isn't much different from hot tomato juice. I'm the guy who likes spicy v8 juice, hot in a cup. Okay, I add other things to my soup besides a little pepper heat so it is kinda a hot v8 juice. And v8 is smoothie, of sorts. Right?

What other vegetable smoothie recipes might work, hot?

I did a search for "savory smoothies," "hot smoothies," even "detox smoothies." I haven't found anything, yet. I mean, some aren't much different than a mug of hot cocoa. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to cook a banana in a soup. Or, an avocado. It isn't that I don't like bananas and avocados - I do! Seems weird ... but, I need a recipe to start. It looks to me that there might be some useful ones and at the right temperature and with something that would stick to a soup spoon -- there should be several recipes that would have been good choices, either way - smoothie or soup!

Steve, soup-or (__) indended

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i really like cold soups this time of the year. yogurt and many veggies work for me (not the heavy greek style yogurt though). when i have cucumbers they do very well in the mix. some green veggies, carrot juice, etc. i really like about anything in a V8 juice blend style. warming it up is certainly ok too.

i've got a while tonight for sure. it's raining heavy out there now and likely to be on-going tonight...

mushroom anything is also usually pretty good for me. even if later the bits are strained out if you want only a broth.

i'm not much into fish or seaweeds but i do know people who are into miso and various things of oriental style cooking. i suspect you could study that for years and if you add fermentation techniques you could expand that to a lifetime without much of a stretch. some of the fermented products sound incredibly gross to me, but in the end who's not tried Worschestershire Sauce? dried anchovies, etc. all quite good. just don't look at what's in them, etc. :)

cheeses are much the same. yum yum. cheese based sauces and soups. but i actually often like cheeses not warmed up too much as i think they lose a lot of the flavors i like (sharp and tart notes). a good example of this to me is a blue cheese. when eaten cool it's great. melt it on a burger and i can hardly taste it. i used to use blue cheese on spaghetti instead of meat and i always held it back until right when i was biting the stuff as i didn't really like how it lost so much if otherwise used.

hope these help. :) as usual when in a rambly mood i can go on at very much obnoxious length. hahaha... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
soup-or (__) indended
indended?

Is indended a word? Now, why didn't autocorrect catch that? It is always messing me up at other times, surreptitiously :rolleyes:. soup-or (...)intended

The fermented ingredients and drinks. No, I have problems learning what they are and how they are made. Probiotics? Ya know, I quit growing Rose Quartz cherry tomatoes because, popping them in my mouth, I always thought of chipping a tooth!

Steve
enjoying his breakfast pablum

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
:) i'm going to hide away today, good luck with that pablum. i used to eat a lot of oatmeal fairly plain and that's as close to lumpy wall paper paste as you can get other than eating wall paper paste itself... to make it more interesting i wouldn't cook it fully so it was more chewy and lumpy. once in a while i'd go savory with onions or other veggies. don't eat it much now. too many years of it already. emergency rations only. :) peace out. hope you have a good smoke free day @digitS'...

Latest posts