Snake deterrents

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Would there be anything that can be some form of deterrent for snakes? I do not know if there is a thread in here already on this subject but I would think it would be useful to everyone of us who are not aware how to deal with these creatures. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
12 ga. Was always good when we lived where they have em. Non up here and we don’t miss them.

geese were something else that worked very well.
Hello there thanks for your reply :)

What is a 12 ga?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is a 12 ga?

A shotgun. I always considered that excessive, a garden hoe works fine for me. I pretty much only worry about poisonous snakes dangerous to humans unless they are in the coop eating eggs or baby chicks.

To me the best deterrent is to minimize food sources, like mice. I like having non-poisonous snakes around. They eat mice, bugs, and such and cause no damage. My chickens love small snakes (6" or so), they make a good snack. To me, non-poisonous snakes are good guys to have around. And often very pretty. I have a beautiful yellow and black garter snake that hangs around my garden. He eats an occasional frog or lizard but mostly eats bugs.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i agree, however; when your wife calls you at work and is very distraught that a big bull snake was in the nest between a broody hen and a clutch of eggs, eating them; you had to think quick!
So, i told her take the shotgun out there and shoo the hen off, poke the barrel in there with the snake and pull the trigger. I also told her dont worry about the mess, i’ll deal with it when i get home.
that’s kind of a left brain man’s way of “conquering” the problem from long distance.
by the time i got home she had taken a hoe and extracted the pieces and dealt with the “residue”. This self teaching moment emboldened her and in the future she would just take after them with whatever was handy.
on that one day, she was wonder-woman and i learned there ain’t much a gal can’t fix, if she’s got enough shells!👀

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We don't have guns of any kind here

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A shotgun. I always considered that excessive, a garden hoe works fine for me. I pretty much only worry about poisonous snakes dangerous to humans unless they are in the coop eating eggs or baby chicks.

To me the best deterrent is to minimize food sources, like mice. I like having non-poisonous snakes around. They eat mice, bugs, and such and cause no damage. My chickens love small snakes (6" or so), they make a good snack. To me, non-poisonous snakes are good guys to have around. And often very pretty. I have a beautiful yellow and black garter snake that hangs around my garden. He eats an occasional frog or lizard but mostly eats bugs.
Thank fully, we haven't any I know of that is dangerous here, yet. :)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There really isn’t any way to keep them out of the garden. You can keep them out of the chicken coop by stapling strips of the smallest size hardware cloth over any gaps or holes. If you have to dispatch one a garden hoe or shovel both work.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We kinda blew by the goose part. Any time i’d see our gaggle out in the middle of the Alfalfa or somewhere they didn’t normally frequent, if i went and looked; they’ed be after a snake. Snake moves a bit, goose peck’s it, snake moves some more, goose peck’s it. Poor snake😥
it wouldn't matter they’ed chase a rattler just as well as a bull snake. Our two most common in Western Dakota.

Latest posts