Snapdragons for our seed orders

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I should title this "Flowers for our seed orders" but the snapdragons will be the first I start indoors from seed.

(Peppers for our seed orders & Eggplants for our seed orders have been seperate threads for veggie varieties to start early :).)

I have a "rule of thumb" for my part of the world: start snaps immediately following mid-February, unless the temperatures are below-zero in mid-February. Then wait a week or 2 :/. Actually, I try to start everything twice, anyway. It's good insurance - after all, one never knows what the conditions are going to be over the next 6 or 8 weeks.

Now is the time to decide on varieties for those seed orders: I grow snaps mostly for cutting flowers and the Rockets are the standards. They are widely available . . . and lovely. Madam Butterfly is nice to add to the mix for somewhat softer colors (and a snapdragon that doesn't "snap" ;))

With these taller snaps and for a stunning "landscape feature" the white Royal Bride from Thompson & Morgan is very impressive. In fact, they are just incredible!

Some folks want a smaller, less wind-resistant, variety. One that is stunning because of it's colors is Brazilian Carnival. On a bright sunny day, these colors just "explode" :)!

Another "rule of thumb" with snapdragon seed is, "don't breathe while you are handling the seed." But, for all their near-microscopic size, they usually show good germination and just chug right along until it's time for them to burst into bloom!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, those are attractive, Vfem :)!

Have you noticed that this color is usually the first to bloom? That is certainly true with the dark red for both the Rockets and Butterflies.

As pointed out on that webpage, snaps are actually perennials. They usually don't survive a winter here unless they are in a real protected spot. But as this year's seedlings, they will grow quickly once they are outdoors and bloom early in the season.

Late February here, seems to be a good time for starting small-seeded perennials that will take quite awhile to reach transplanting size. Snaps can take a light frost and after they are hardened-off, snaps can go out in the garden a week or 2 before last frost.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These puppies were in bloom early on... I started them in the house last January. I transplanted and got my first blooms in JUNE! I was shocked to say the least.

We've had hard freeze here for nearly 2 weeks now... we even had a snow in December. If I got out right now, some of these still have blooms on them! I'm shocked... they are so hardy their first year.

These are the only snaps I have... But I am going to move some to my front 'new' bed in the spring. I'm hoping to get more height in the front beds to block my ugly porch brick.

I am going to read through those links you sent me more...

...are the lighter colors more fragile?

But yea, I have some seed if you would like some, I will just throw some in an envelope if you do want some. Just PM me where to mail them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Vfem (someone take her up on that offer, quick ;))!

I've got a fair amount of seed. Will need to "assess" what more, if any, will be needed.

Have you noticed that snaps will self-sow? It seems like the pinks are good at that.

No, I wouldn't say that the other colors are more fragile. In fact, speaking of fragile, I break those dark-red, early ones real easily :/. But, that isn't what you meant.

Yellows seem to sunburn more easily and the flowers will turn brown. The thrips love the yellows & the whites, even if they have stems the size of my wrists and flowers to the sky :).

As far as fragile early on, never transplant them holding onto the stem. Someone taught me that a long time ago. A plant usually has 1 stem and 1 stem only. If you break a leaf, that's probably not the end of the road for the plant. So, when you are moving them into their little cells or styrfoam cups, hold on to their tiny leaf not their tiny stem.

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted some snap dragons in early DEC. But I planted them in mass. So when they germinated they were really fine stems ans stalks. Non of them made it to transplanting. I will try again but this time i will use the toilet paper rolls. that way i dont have such a hard time separating them.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I planted some snap dragons in early DEC. But I planted them in mass. So when they germinated they were really fine stems ans stalks. Non of them made it to transplanting. I will try again but this time i will use the toilet paper rolls. that way i dont have such a hard time separating them.
I did mine in mini-peat pot cells that came in square sets of 6 from Homedepot. Then I just broke off the peat cell I wanted to transplant one at a time.

Those snaps did amazingly! I even pulled out an extra sprout by the root and transplanted it rather then throw it out and it made it! I was just shocked at how hardy these were.

I'm going to collect some seed and spread them around our wooded area entrance and see if they take on their own.

Obsessed if you want some seed let me know... I am planning on ordering some orange or yellow this year. Thought seeing the photo of the irish green bells planted with the red snaps on the website I posted is making me more interested in those for some cutting flowers.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, Vfem.
I had some serious plans for doing some ornamental gardening this year..... but...... I bought a sewing machine instead and when DH found the price I got cut off of all unnessasary spending. I dont have any good soil that will grow anything so now i cant afford to buy any.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's some other ideas for flower seed to sow early and, therefore, to order early. They all seem to benefit from extra time indoors before transplanting:

foxglove (foxy)
viola/pansy (may be a little late, even here)
petunia/salpiglosis

Members of the dianthus family can be put out before last frost but I'm not familiar enuf with them to know if one could get blooms from them the 1st year anyway. I've got quite a few columbines and while they can take a frost, they haven't bloomed their 1st year.

Also, there's the mint family: mints, rosemary, sage, marjoram, oregano, thyme, lavender, etc. and the ornamentals varieties of those :) . . .

. . . just some ideas.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes... my lavender foxglove thrived from being planted indoors and moved out. I got great blooms. I did add some seed outside... I thinned it out mid summer... and it never bloomed. Good point!

Latest posts