Garden Master
Reaction score
snowbirds 001.JPG
snowbirds 014.JPG

snowbirds 010.JPG

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like we're not the only ones with bad hawk problems. I mean look at that, you've got one right in the chicken-yard! :p

I like your goats. What are they? Kikos? I notice what looks like either a Sebright or a Golden-Laced Wyandotte in the bottom picture. What kind of chickens do you have?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that hawk is completely docile, he's the chicken mascot. He's grateful for being saved from a trip to the dump! (Another of my salvage stories... )

The goats are second generation miniature Nubians. Nubian/ Nigerian crosses, and they're half brothers.

As for the chickens, I have mostly black laced red Wyandottes, plus a few blue laced RW, a Golden Sebright, a black Australorp, a Dutch bantam, and 2 Golden Cuckoo Marans.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very interesting! We are planning on getting Nigerian for milk and to get away with our short fencing.

When it comes to chickens we kind of have a melting pot of breeds starting. We have a couple Black Copper Marans but they don't lay the dark brown eggs that Marans are generally known for. Do yours lay the dark eggs? We're planning on switching over to all Australorps eventually.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I had to look at that one pict several times before my eyes figured out what I was looking at. LOVE the wooden hawk!!! Beautiful.

Seed, you'll love australorps. I've got 2. They're my oldest hens and act just like some of my great aunts. Chatty, chatty, chatty, into everyone's business, bossy, no-nonsense sort of hens. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very interesting! We are planning on getting Nigerian for milk and to get away with our short fencing.

When it comes to chickens we kind of have a melting pot of breeds starting. We have a couple Black Copper Marans but they don't lay the dark brown eggs that Marans are generally known for. Do yours lay the dark eggs? We're planning on switching over to all Australorps eventually.

The Golden Cuckoo marans are not laying yet, and one of them never will as he's a cockerel. But I hope the pullet lays dark eggs.
I had a BCM and she laid dark eggs, but she was something of a prima donna and only laid occaisonally.

My Australorp is an old girl and she's just like Cane described. :) I forgot to include my brown Leghorn in there. She's a good layer, but as bird brained and skittish as their reputation.

Latest posts