SO EXCITED!! I'm the new 'landscaper'!!!!!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm SOO excited. Last month we had an inspection (internal mgt thing) and while they were grading the scalehouse and entry areas they made a comment that the outside was messy and weedy and looked bad. I made a comment (to no one in particular) that I would be happy to get a hold of the beds and such if they would let me.
Well we just got out of our monthly OSHA Training meeting and the manager asked me to stay back. When everyone else had left he asked if I was serious about cleaning up and working on the areas around the scale, the entry and the office. I said that I was totally serious and he said to go for it - keep track of my hours & materials and not go nuts with expenses.
:ya :weee :ya

This will let me get about 10hrs a week more!!!
:celebrate

I'll start with weeding - it's BAD. (and carry all those wilted goodies back to my compost :D )
THEN..... um.....??? Mums???? Winter pansies???
If I can get some picts of the areas I'll be taking care of, I'll be asking for help with what to plant. It can't be anything unusual as I'll have to buy it from the local ACE hardware (we have an account there).

:watering

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you are happy about it so Ill say congratulations.

Southeast Virginia, zone 7. Youre a little warmer than me but not a lot unless you are close to the ocean. Then you might have a microclimate. Im not sure what Id recommend.

I think your first decision is whether to go with annuals or perennials. In either case, think more about grass and weed control than anything else. If you go with annuals where you have to replant a few times a year, you will mostly be dealing with annual weeds, though grass could be a monster. If you go with perennials, perennial weeds, grasses, bushes, whatever, can establish roots and be a problem.

There are people on this forum that will give you some great advice. They do this sort of thing or have in the past. But I think Id try to tie up with the local Gardenmasters and chat with them. The local Gardenmasters do community service where they maintain public parks and such. If you can find the right person and get them talking about their passion, they can bend your ear.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not only does it mean more hours, but a pride and satisfaction in a job well done. I am proud of you and proud for you. You might check into landscaping cloth to help keep weeds down or if budget won't allow, recycle newspaper or cardboard. Cover with some mulch and it will look great!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds great Cane! The scale house at our local landfill could use a dressing up. Sounds like yours is going to look great!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D Thanks.
It's not going to get fancy or elaborate. Mostly just keeping the beds weeded and adding a little color. I've wanted to do something to dress up - or at least clean up - this dreary place for a long time. But I wasn't willing to donate time or materials. Now I've got permission to stay on the clock and use the charge card. :lol:

HA! Bay - getting newspaper or cardboard away from the county's recycleing program will be a battle! They are super tight fisted about that stuff. I think they get paid by the pound for it or something. But, if nothing else, I can post a message of facebook for my church folks to save me some. I bet I'd have half a ton left on the front porch next Sunday.

Wonder if I can get him to go for a cordless weedeater to keep the edges around the concrete clean.........

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay Canesisters! You are just the right person for that because for you it's not only hard work but a labor of love. Look around your area and see what grows well and what you like. Maybe if you can't find what you're looking for at Ace you can propose what you need and tell them the price, make a pitch sell. I would also definitely talk about the advantages of having that weedeater and how it would pay for itself in no time. Remember all they can say is "no".

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
ooo
oooo
ooooo!

Irises!
Lilies!
Runner Beans!
Morning Glories!
Dwarf red Barberry!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd suggest go perennials, mat to keep weeds down with colored mulch and rocks.

Latest posts