So I planted these citrus trees...

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
five or six years ago, here in the SF East Bay area. Primarily for security, landscape, and somewhat for the fruit. And they are doing well. One, the Eureka lemon, is doing too well. They were supposed to be dwarf, because I didn't want to deal with ladders and the like, but the Eureka certainly isn't. The navels mostly are, although one is pretty tall, some 14'. The lemon, taller by a good 5'. Needs trimming.

So when do I prune these things in my area? My citrus growing sister is in Phoenix, and their weather patterns don't match ours at all. Ideas?

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When in Florida I used to "mow" the sides and tops of the citrus within a week or so after cleaning off the fruit. (This is a technique the commercial groves use instead of pruning.) There I was usually done picking in March. Not sure when that would be in SF, though.

HTH

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I would assume you would trim after harvesting the fruit. Don't they set out new buds for blooms at the end of fall and winter so spring they can blossom and refruit? I wouldn't do it so late as they are probably already prepped for where the new buds and fruits will start for this year.

Latest posts