So very sad. :-(

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... I've talked to a few people today.. one of which was the lady we got some of our rabbits from. She said that a lot of times first time mommies are very confused as to what to do, and that quite a few of them will lose their first litter even if everything is right. She said that I should try to rebreed her tomorrow and that I should be good to go after that. I'm sending one of my others off to be bred to a friends buck on Saturday, so I should have a couple litters close to the same time. Hopefully next time everything goes better. :fl

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's such sad news. I'm very sorry to hear things like this :( Maybe next time will go better. I wish I could help, but I know nothing about rabbits.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nacho, won't it be too hot by the time she kindles? What will the temps be 30 days from now where you live? You gotta remember, she is wearing a fur coat. Put yourself in her place, outside, pregnant and wearing a fur coat. That's the best way to kill a doe with heat stroke that I know of. If long time rabbit breeders in your area breed now, then maybe it's ok and you won't lose your doe. For my area, I would not breed until September and give the doe the summer off. Does the lady you got your rabbits from breed all summer or does she stop when it gets hot?

I am sorry you lost the litter. First timers sometimes do that. As far as eating their babies, sometimes they do that because they feel threatened. Sometimes they drag their babies out of the nest onto the wire and try to put them back. Sharp rabbit teeth and bare, naked, pink skinned babies just don't work out very well. So the bacon really doesn't serve a need. The doe is not eating the babies because she is hungry for meat. Sometimes no matter what you do, it all just goes wrong. :/

Latest posts