So, what ARE the benefits??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I completed my first seed order over the last few days and will now keep my fingers crossed that those tomato & pepper seeds will make it here to go in the starter mix in about 3 weeks. There'll be some flower seed too but the peppers especially need an early start. Mmmmmm boy, Italian sweet peppers and ripe tomatoes. Maybe I can have some out of the freezer soon in a big bowl of soup or some pasta sauce!

Okay, I understand that . . . good food! And, the exercise and fresh air along with the spirit-nourishing experience of being productive are worth the cost of seed and effort. What other benefits do I get from all this gardening?

Two recent reports in medical journals are really encouraging! They promise more healthy years from doing very little more than what I want to do anyway!! And, that's the way to think of it - more years of health! (An immortality fruit has yet to reach harvest in my garden :).

So what do I get if I have a few healthy behaviors like being current non-smoking, not physically inactive, moderate in alcohol intake, and a blood vitamin C level consistent with a fruit and vegetable intake of at least five servings a day?? (Some of these researchers don't have a lot of trust in the reporting by the subjects in their research :rolleyes: .

The lives and lifestyles of over 20,000 men and women were studied:Consistent across sex, age, body mass index, and social class - - relative risks for all-cause mortality show that the impact of this healthy lifestyle is equivalent to 14 years of life!!

And with all those Italian peppers and ripe tomatoes - is there a special benefit there? Well, maybe! Combined with,

_ An abundance of food from all plant sources
_ Minimally processed foods
_ Limited saturated fats and fats in general
_ Dairy products consumed daily
_ Fish and poultry consumed in low to moderate amounts
_ Red meat consumed in very low amounts
_ Limited number of egg yolks
_ Low to moderate alcohol consumption
_ Along with some of that "regular physical activity"

I've got the "traditional Mediterranean diet" without half trying! A new report on old folks shows that men and women who followed the diet most closely were 21 to 22 percent less likely to have died for any reason over a 10 year period than were those who did not follow the diet.

digitS'
:tools

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The only bad that can come from eating all those peppers and tomatoes are acid reflux and hemeroids.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dbjay417, I don't know about that. I think if you're eating a healthy, varied diet without all of the processed garbage they're pushing on us all the time you will pretty much avoid hemeroids and acid reflux. The incidence of that just wasn't all that high before the industrial food came into play.

Latest posts