Soil improvement for a raised bed used for root veggies

VT Chicklit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am interested in finding out how to ammend my root veggie raised bed. In this bed, which is 10 X 6, I grow carrots on 1/2 the area every year and have tried turnips (successful), beets (not successful), onions & shallots(not successful) in the other 1/2. I attempted to amend this bed with compost a few years back and had nematodes eat trenches in my turnips. I have since moved my turnips to a smaller 3 X 3 bed and have tried other veggies in the larger bed without success. The soil in this bed is somewhat sandy. It was a manufactured "top soil" purchased 7 years ago from a garden center. Other than the one time when I added compost, I have not amended the bed. I still have good luck with the carrots but little luck with the other root veggies I put with them. I am concerned that there will come a time when even my carrots will not grow there. Anyone have any suggestions on what to ammend the soil with. I do not have any trees that I can use the leaves from for leaf mold.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My first thought is that you need to rotate and use another bed for a couple of years. You shouldn't plant the same thing in a bed more than 3 years in a row.
Next thought is that you might try to find some good mushroom mulch to add to it. I just love that stuff!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you get bags of leaves from other people, in the fall, to make leafmold? Usually there's lots of people putting bags out by the curb. And hardly *anybody* sprays yard trees with anything, so it is not much of a risk in that way.

If you have room to compost, you might see if anyone has a supply of old hay you could get for cheap. If it is a couple years old or moldy, nobody will want to use it as hay but it will compost down (eventually) into excellent compost. Chicken poo layered into it (do you have chickens? If not, get chickens <g>) will accellerate the composting but it'll happen on its own eventually even without it.

One thing that might help would be to grow beans/peas in that bed this year. Because of being a raised bed you will have to be careful it doesn't dry out -- beans and peas want a fairly consistant supply of soil moisture -- but they will 'break the cycle' of what you've got growing there, and return some nitrogen to the soil, and (perhaps more important) when they're done you can turn the whole plant into the soil to decompose to add organic matter.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
VT chicklit
you should aways rotate as each variety of plant takes up different nutritive minerals and will depleat the soil...also what ever virus or insect is associated with that plant will build up in the soil...
also you might want to try a green manure to help with the friablity of the soil....
I have sandy soil and use compost, peat moss, old straw, leaves, greensand, lime, phospherious[sp], grass clippings, broken sea shells, and buckwheat as a green manure which is turned into the soil before it flowers...it will decompose and add tilth to the soil...to hold nutrients and moisture in the soil...it takes a few years to build your soil to ideal and it is an on going process...this year I have the advantage of chicken poo for my garden...
I have always had trouble raising beets and have yet to get a crop that could be considered great but I use the greens which are yummy steamed or in salads but the roots are usually small and woody...I keep trying I am sure I will find the right balance some day...and get wonderful beets to can...

j.luetkemeyer

Sprout
Reaction score
You can also plant clover in the early fall and turn it under in the spring before planting. Do a search for companion planting. There are many ways to plant leguminous plants with your other crops so that you do not deplete nutrients. Constantly add compost to your beds as well. The idea is to always add more than what you are growing needs.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just learned about crop rotation and I think this is the best way to really get started. Even if you have to turn the soil this year after purchasing an organic fertlizer or compost elsewhere while you start your composting for the fall.

Try to move your crops around from beds this year, perhaps just by random chance you'll notice your carrots doing better for now, and your turnips might be happier in yet another bed.

I really hope you find a good balance this year!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am trying crop rotation.. sort of.. I planted shallots, garlic, and onions in a 4x4 bed that had tomatos and a few corn in last season..

hope that is rotating! But i too am having not so much of an easy time doing soil amending.. :idunno I just keep adding organic fertilizer from the store.. oh and IT STINKS :sick i think I might try the clover in the fall if I can find it cheep and readly