Soil prep......

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am working on purchasing a 1/2 lot with a house built in 1905 *pray for me, I really need this house* Anyway, I am sure it has been a while since anyone has done anything to this lot and I wondered what would I use to enrich the soil on the area I plot for a garden? So like I till it and plant what... for the first year or few months to enrich the soil. Its for sure been resting lol...

Arklady

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I definitely suggest tilling... can you get the soil tested at the local agricultural department? Make sure there are no toxins in it from previous owners? Figure out the acid levels and such too? Just sounds like a good base to start from so you know what you need to do to the soil if anything.... save you from losing crops!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soil testing is good...Easiest thing is to smother the weeds/grass in the area you want to plant with several thicknesses of newspaper or 2 layers of cardboard, topped with a few inches of mulch or compost or some such. By the time the newspaper rots down enough to plant through (9 months later) the weeds will have smothered to death.

If you start by tilling right away, you're just going to bring all the buried weed seeds up to the surface, where they will sprout and make a lot of work for you. If you really enjoy weeding, though, hey, more power to you.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of the most important things is the placement of the gardens and choosing plants that will grow in each area. It takes some time getting to know your property. Study the lay of the land, where the sun hits at what time of day... might be hard to do this time of year.

Depending on where you are, check for shade cast by trees etc.

I use raised beds for most of my garden area, but, I live in a place where the soil is so alkaline that if you put vinegar on the native soil it will fizz!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I say get a bunny. For the poop of course. Or you could go with the chickens but so far that has been too much work for me. When I got my house I found my soil was all sand. So I spent most of last year soil building. I built raised beds and put organics from the house in. So hopefully I can grow stuff this year.

p.s. I think I will do well because the volenteer squash plants look great.

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't answered for a while. I am pouring over all the new seed and plant and seed catalogs. They are ever so much more colorful than they used to be. So many choices. I have decided to also put up a green house in the best location. With proper designing of the site I should be able to have a decent sized garden and green house. I would like to have a couple of rabbits too of course. We used to have some for that reason. But I am not a green thumb my skills lie in animal areas. I am going to give it a try again with more determination this time, however many failures I have had in the past I am still going to attempt to grow some veggies.

Since I am buying the place maybe put up a fruit tree as well. I also am determined to have a small strawberry plot can't forget those yummy things. I just thought to have some ideas on preparing the soil and those are good ones. In fact this house is so cheap I can buy a tiller for the garden area out of the money I get out of my current property.

Keep the ideas coming and the soil testing is good to. I have never done one so... I will have to research it.

Arklady

Madfarner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Most people opt for raised beds if they have a choice. One good way would be straw bale/hay bale garden. just line up whole bales where you want your beds. You don't even have to open them. Wet them down well, spread 3-4" of planting mix on top, and plant into that. The plants will root into the hay & begin breaking it down. The above post was right. If you till, you'll have LOTS of new weeds.

Madfarmer

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Madfarner said:
Most people opt for raised beds if they have a choice. One good way would be straw bale/hay bale garden. just line up whole bales where you want your beds. You don't even have to open them. Wet them down well, spread 3-4" of planting mix on top, and plant into that. The plants will root into the hay & begin breaking it down. The above post was right. If you till, you'll have LOTS of new weeds.

Madfarmer
Wow!

Seriously?
That is an outstanding idea.

Do you have any pictures of this in practice?

I think I will try that as a plan for my next raised beds.

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oooo I had forgotten that method. I had just read about that this summer and I printed out the article. Yes that is an option I had thought about for my tomato problem. I lose them because I forget to water, which is one of my down falls, but I figure if I can. I really want to learn to make salsa, which a family favorite as most families, I just want to try some fresh recipes and can them as well. My son loves Tostitos brand salsa and I would like to make it something like that.

Keep up the good ideas... I love them.

Arklady

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
oh wow! That is an awesome idea!! Does anyone know if the hay bale method is more or less expensive than buying the potting soil needed fot fill the wooden raised beds, and buying/scrounging the wood to build raised beds? It would seem like the hay bale method would be cheaper, but I haven't bought a hay bale in years.

Latest posts