Soil question

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After a rain, my soil gets a crusty top and I have to "fluff" the soil around the plants. It's not really a thick, hard crust and the soil is nice and crumbly underneath. Could it be due to clay?

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is typical of the soil in my area (upstate SC) and we have clay. The best defense is to keep the soil covered with some type of mulch like leaves or straw and you will never see this.

Maybe someone with non clay soil can let you know how their soil behaves. All we have is red clay in my area so I have no experience with really good soil (although mine gets better each year). We have to work in plenty of organic material here to get anything near good soil.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I do have clay. I've been adding compost and leaves for the past two years so the soil has improved and all my veggies look great.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, clay here too. If we get a hard enough downpour, it can crust over so hard that smaller seeds can't sprout through it.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Yep, clay here too. If we get a hard enough downpour, it can crust over so hard that smaller seeds can't sprout through it.
journey, in one part of the garden where the clay is heavy, I have "helped" the seeds by gently peeling up the crust. :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get this, especially in my newer beds. One of my raised beds get it... which another doesn't. I guess it matters what percent of my soil is clay. Like you, I've been working in organic matter as much as I can. I also mulch EVERYTHING that I plant to help. So is the life of having clay soil!

:rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Usually that crust is caused by minerals like calcium. They disolve in the water and when it evaporates the minerals are left behind. It can be a pain if you are trying to get small seeds like carrots up but otherwise it does no harm.

Latest posts