Solar anyone ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a big push to install solar panels to generate electricity by the Clark County Utilities here. So I called them and they looked up our electric usage ( we also have natural gas provided by another company as CCU only provides electric power ) and the guy said that with our electisity usage of average $30 / mo. and the size of our home being 1820 sq. ft. ... to install the solar panels it would cost $40,000 +/- depending on our particular home. He also said that the company would buy any extra power at the same rate that they charge a customer , which is $ 0. 08 /kilowhat. He gave me a list of approved Solar contractors. I called the first one on the list ... they NO LONGER do solar installations. The second one, who says they install 80% of solar systems in our county sends out a salesman. The salesman , based on our situation and power needs, it would cost $18,600. Then he states that we would receive a Federal tax credit of $5,580. ( The Federal tax credit is limited to $5,000. Then what one will receive in a tax credit is based on what one is to receive as a refund and/ or what amount you still owe. Could be up to $5,000 or $0.00 ) Then he states that the power company will pay us $ 0.54/ kwt that the panels generate including what we use. So he calculates an annual payment of $1,640. Then he says that within 10 years the solar panels will have more than payed for themselves as we would get $ 16,040 from the utility. ( This State of Washington program expires within 2 years ). Then he says that his company negotiated with a bank for loans at 3.49% up to 30 years. Our payments would be $54.09/mo for up to 30 years. Sounds great , ha ? What about the huge difference between the $0.08 and $0.54 / kwt , buyback program expires within 2 years and I have a 2nd mortgage at $ 54/ mo. Hmmm! :caf

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We jumped on the solar band wagon YEARS ago when it 1st came out! It did not pay for itself. We still used plenty of electricity, too. I know the systems have changed a lot. But the cost vs savings does NOT look like a bargain to me. (Our panels have long ago been removed and scrapped.)

Latest posts