Solved: So pretty, but I have no clue what it is!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So this pretty little plant is growing in my garden, right where the hose connects to the house. The area is mostly moist (hose dribbles when I water) and always shady. I live in the SC Lowcountry, Zone 8.
This plant has been in my yard for 4 years, but before we converted this part of the yard to a garden, I never really paid any attention to it. I "rediscovered" it today during a garden photo shoot. Anyone ever seen this one?
PS: Hope no one tells me it's a weed!
DSC02867.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Svenja
http://xellergarden.blogspot.com

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Kinda looks like some kind of Columbine??

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought it might be helpful if I post a picture of the leaves, too, since this is not a plant that flowers a lot, from what I've noticed. Someone might be more likely to recognize these leaves.
DSC02957.jpg

DSC02956.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First of all I am soooooooooo jealous I have NO shade in my yard. That plant is GORGEOUS!!!!

By the way, I love your blog, I've added as a follower.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
First of all I am soooooooooo jealous I have NO shade in my yard. That plant is GORGEOUS!!!!

By the way, I love your blog, I've added as a follower.
Thanks! I am following your blog now, too. I love hearing about other peoples' gardening adventures! I am jealous of your space! We live in a subdivision with an average-size yard. Luckily ithe neighborhood was established in the 50's and 60's, so the lots are bigger than the new construction that's going up all around us.

I don't have much shade either, but I will try to transplant anyways. You can't see it unless you are in the garden where it is now.

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm going to go way out on a limb here, but could it be a saxifrage of some kind?

The leaves look like a stawberry saxifrage I had years ago. It is also called strawberry begonia or Saxifrage stonlenifera. It is hard for me to tell how big your plant is. Mine were very small. Less than six inches.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...onia&hl=en&rlz=1T4GPTB_enUS289US291&sa=N&um=1

That's one heck of a link! Lets see if it works.

Debby

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, I see that Growin already found it. I was in a hurry at work and didn't read all the posts. Sorry.

Debby

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Debby said:
I'm going to go way out on a limb here, but could it be a saxifrage of some kind?

The leaves look like a stawberry saxifrage I had years ago. It is also called strawberry begonia or Saxifrage stonlenifera. It is hard for me to tell how big your plant is. Mine were very small. Less than six inches.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...onia&hl=en&rlz=1T4GPTB_enUS289US291&sa=N&um=1

That's one heck of a link! Lets see if it works.

Debby
Thanks, Debby! I had already found it online, and you are right! It is a strawberry begonia. Thanks again for the help! :)