Some garden inspiration

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dreaming about things like this is what gets me through the long winter!

(Couldn't get video to embed, so click link...) http://bcove.me/rc0735qr

I have 3 pairs of sliding glass doors saved and several old windows. I would want mine to be more of a greenhouse than just a sitting space though. I would heat it and use it all winter (that's when I'd really need it!) But I thought this was amazing and inspiring, especially how it all ties together with her garden. I really love the cute furnishings too.

ETA: And this! http://bcove.me/j4njsv1b Same gardener. Love, love, love it!

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I LOVE that @journey11 !! So quaint and creative.
A greenhouse would be my priority too, but I would LOVE that! ... maybe attached to a greenhouse.
Thanks for the inspiration ... hmmm, maybe my porch needs a makeover.
I was peeking at craigslist the other day (even though my son said I should not :gig) and I ran across this ... free windows and doors ... OMG... maybe a greenhouse right there for FREE, well with a bit of wood and a roof and a heater. The cost of heat keeps this a dream for me. :\

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love those ideas. The shabby chic look is so me! Thanks, journey. To me, a greenhouse would be so much better if you could go directly into it, from the house. But in my yard, there is no door that would lend itself to that. About the best I could do would be to put it on the east end of the house. Afternoon shade. Not too good in the winter when the sun's heat would be wanted. I guess it would be best freestanding out in the yard, where it could get sun all day. Hmmm....thinking......

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's an issue here too, @so lucky . My porch that I use for a temp greenhouse for seedlings is on the east side of the house. On the far wall, I can get them in sun til about 3pm, but it would stay a lot warmer if it had sun all day. The south side of the house is bedrooms and I haven't been able to convince DH that it would be SO cool to have a bump-out greenhouse off our bedroom. I could sleep in my greenhouse! :love

I think I will be settling for a more permanent electric heater for the porch so I don't have to move things inside if the temp dips too low.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Craigslist or your Habitat reuse shop if you have that option. That can save a lot of money but you may need to be creative.

My logical place for a greenhouse would be on the North side which is awful for sun in the winter. It's the only place I could go to get electricity and avoid "The Bog" or have it out front, and even those places would be inconvenient for electricity. Slope of the ground is also a consideration though that is just building technique. A water source I could easily tie into is there to the north also, not the other places.

My use for a greenhouse would be for winter growing and seed starting. I'd try to overwinter certain plants in there too, rosemary for sure, probably certain other fresh herbs, and I'd even consider a container citrus tree. I'd want it on a thermostat with a heater and automatic windows that open to vent. And it needs to be big enough to enter. Probably won't happen but I can dream.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend recently had new power lines installed to her pump house. I didn't pay enuf attention but it looked very simple. Underground conduit? What's tuff about that? Admittedly, she had an olde electrician friend doing it for her ... another friend dug the ditch with her tractor ... it could have been that i just felt lucky to get outta work ;).

Me, I got an electrician to put power in the main greenhouse but it isn't in the shed-attached hoop house on the other side of the fence. I went down and got a very heavy extension cord. I can imagine running that thing through a pvc pipe for a couple months each year.

I drive past a yard with a deck set out away from the house. I don't know what else to call it. It's a wood floor. It has one wall. No roof, one wall.

The wall has a counter built against it. There's a window in the wall and it looks like a sink in the counter under the window.

So. You can stand on the floor at the sink and look back at the house through your window. This "area" is on the south side of their house. See how easy it would be to set up a temporary greenhouse against that wall ???

Now, through the summer there's a picnic table and barbecue on that deck. They look out their backdoor and see a cute little exterior wall ... personally, I'd make it look like the Long Branch Saloon :D.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Lavender2 My family thinks i'm bonkers when I say things like I wish I could live in my greenhouse, I wish I had a tent in my garden so I could sleep there, I'm glad I'm not totally insane! ;)

I just had a 'discussion' last night with DH. The bed I just removed from my sewing room is a wicker daybed and I'm considering putting in the porch. He doesn't like the idea, but I think he's afraid I may move out there for the summer. :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 I love that. :) We have on occasion considered enclosing the back deck. It would get far more use than the open deck. But s far it is just a dream.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 , did you get those free windows? I see the ad is now gone. I've seen them on Freecycle and Craigslist and the little trader's newspaper they run around here. You have to be fast. Seems many people have use for them, although I can't say I've seen any window greenhouses around here.

I'm afraid if I built this, then I'd never want to move! LOL And the plan is to flip and move once the kids are a little older. I'd have to figure out how to make it so I could disassemble it and take it with me. I will have a hard enough time leaving my compost pile and all of my rocks collected over the years. :p

I think this kind of structure would work well for me up here. We get some wicked storm gusts up on this ridge. I really need something sturdy if I'm going to do it.

Latest posts