Some of My Garden Updates (More Pics Pg 2)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Isn't it weird when you work so hard and have to look at dirt for months?! All you think is WOW, what a waste of energy and time... then all of a sudden, after a couple warm weeks BAM everything wakes up and takes over. :D

And this year is the second year for sooooo many things that I've never gotten a bloom from. I'm seeing flowers and colors I've never seen before. I wanted so badly to "Ooooh" and "Ahhhhh" over it all with someone.

I know in the last 2 weeks I've seen several of my neighbors get inspired and they've been out doing new planting I've never seen them do before. I guess a little color and contrast can really move a neighborhood! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are so right, Vfem :)!

For decades, I drove past this very large garden on a corner. Then I noticed a large garden spring up across 1 street, then another garden sprang up across the other street.

The old fellow who had the garden is long gone. The new resident has put it all back to lawn, still the other 2 gardens remain. I bet they are going on 20 years by now and they get better with every passing year :).

I now have 2 new neighbors. Both are doing better than I am at tending their lawns. The elderly neighbor has filled her backyard with all sorts of bright garden do-dads! She moved from an apartment and is obviously enjoying the outdoor space. I'll have a blaze of flowers here in a little while but with the daffodils fading and the forget-me-nots too tiny to be noticed, it is all green and dirt on this side of the fence . . . oh, and flats of plant starts literally EVERYWHERE!

And, there are different ways of look at dirt. I've had people stand and look at my garden during the "off-season" and say, "Boy, what a beautiful garden!" (Maybe they didn't actually say boy ;).)

I'm looking at it and thinking, "It's just dirt . . ." :rolleyes:

Steve :cool:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Feeling much better today, but still sick... but I went and took some photos anyways.

First, I need help identifying this plant. Its some kind of squash, or cuke or pumpkin or melon... I don't know?! I have 2 volunteers that came up and they are not growing as large or rapid as my squash plant near by. The leaves seems smaller. It also looked different from my watermelon... and I did throw some gourds in the compost but they went in AFTER I took compost out to turn into this bed. This bed had Corn, Green Beans, Radish and Watermelon in it last year. So that's all I know!
14084_unknown1.jpg

Iris (Got this in a trade so this is the first time I've seen the colors so far.)
14084_iris1.jpg

Peaches are getting bigger, going to have to do the Neem spray again:
14084_peach4.jpg

I found some actual peas on my pea plants. However, they look like snow peas, but they are supposed to be shelling peas. Will they fatten up as I leave them, or did I get the wrong ones?
14084_peas_2.jpg

My husband's woodland bed he's been working on clearing since we moved here. We planted red rhodhedendra (sp?) out there last fall, they're looking good. The cone flower you can't see but they've come up as well:
14084_woodland_bed1.jpg

My potatoes took a LONG time to come up, but finally did:
14084_potatoes_2.jpg

My radish I harvested
14084_radish_squash1.jpg

Raspberries doing great:
14084_raspberries1.jpg

Here's my actual squash which is much bigger then that unknown plant:
14084_squash_1.jpg

I hope my strawberries start ripening:
14084_strawberry_bed3.jpg

And lastly, I woke up this morning to some cheeping in my chicken coop.... my first 2 hatches of the year! They appear to be partridge silkies:
14084_silkie_chicks2010.jpg

14084_silkie_chicks2010_1.jpg

Haven't thought of names yet.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to look at my assortment of curcurbits in flats (have a few of everything this year) and to me your mystery plant looks closest to a cucumber seedling. Mostly because of the pentagon shape of the leaves. I think it's not lobed enough to be a watermelon. It will be fun to see what it turns out to be. :)

Your fuzzy babies are so sweet! I haven't gotten any chicks yet this year and I keep feeling like I'm missing something!

What variety of peas did you get? Sugar snap peas are my favorite. You can use them both ways. If you pick them early they are good for sautes and eating the pods fresh, but if you leave them to plump up, the sugar is higher. The pods stay tender even when they fill out. I love them. :love

Latest posts