Some of you people are just plain mean

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hear you're tilling, starting plants, planting spinach at the beginning of February, yada yada yada. This is the view of my backyard today:

backyardsnow.jpg

Underneath the snow beyond that table set is my vegetable garden. It's still got a foot of snow on it, in some places the snow is 3.5' deep still. Lots of it is supposed to melt this week, but I won't be tilling until at least mid-March at the rate we're going! :rolleyes: :barnie :gig

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
**SIGH** I know just what you're going through. *pat pat* :( :hugs lol :gig

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Be happy you have some precipitation. This is a drought year for us. Our garden will be full of grasshoppers, as in serious infestation. You can use chickens but they warn that the chickens can get impacted from eating too many. The other choice is pesticide. We hope for snow all the time.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, you can start plants now. Some plants, anyway. Last year I didn't start anything till March, and my tomatoes were still puny and spindly despite being in a greenhouse window on the south side of the house. This year I started them way early, maybe they'll be good sized by April.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, there are some signs of spring out there. Every February I wander down back to look for the blossoms of the skunk cabbage. They're up! They aren't open yet, but they are up. If they have ice or snow around them they actually generate enough heat to melt their way through. Another week and they'll be in full bloom!

sc-2-11-09.jpg

One of my neighbors' witch hazels, Jolena, was in full bloom, also. I love that slightly astringent scent!

Jolena02-11-09.jpg

It was so warm out there, even trudging through 18" of snow! So I guess there's hope - although I'm sure Winter isn't done with us yet! :barnie

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ann,....

Think of how I feel!!! I can't even look out back to my garden beds... snow or otherwise..not for another 5 weeks!!!

ALL I see are T-barriers...and dust and muck... and so much damn sand!!

I have a few seed catalogues that was sent to me here, ...and I have practically read the page numbers off.....lol....

Think container gardening athena!!!!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, Athena, are you deployed over there with the military? What a place to have to garden! How long are you there for?

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Oh my goodness, Athena, are you deployed over there with the military? What a place to have to garden! How long are you there for?
She's in Iraq and I am sending her a welcome package of seeds in MArch when she comes home....

Anyone up for chipping in for her?

Perhaps we could start a thread?

Thoughts?

Latest posts