Some pics of what's going on in my garden! DUW.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, that worm is huge:ep. I would feed it to chickens. Some people saute them.(worms and chickns both) I am glad we don't get things like that here in Oregon too often. I would be thinking twice about going out to the garden without gloves on it we had those buggers here.

Great harvest!! I am so jealous of those tomatoes. Would love to try the Zebra kind next year. Did you buy the toms from starts?

:rainbow-sun:tools

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Your pics are great! I had a similar problem with my squash. Beautiful yellow crooknecks! We were really enjoying them! Then when my gourds(yes, now I know-first year planting them) started to bloom, my yellow crooknecks stopped producing and are now green(yes GREEN!:th ) crooknecks! :hit Is there anything nearby that they may have pollinated with? We have had bees :bee by the thousands this year!!! We haven't eaten any of them. Never tried the zebras. How do they taste? I have also had the tomato worms in huge numbers this year and someone who lives 2 miles up the road said he hasn't seen a one! Guess I got better maters!!!:tools Happy gardening!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to reply, folks!

Thanks, Rocky! Apparently that is the size they get, LOL. I read they dont get that big, and they seem to ripen when they get that color, so I'd say that's about it! My grandma ate another today and said it was great, so the first one must have been a screw up,lol.

Thanks, Adele!

Thanks, Natalie! You think that was a big harvest, you should see what I got today!

Thanks, Tutter. I love the little melons, they are really cute. We actually stopped at an awesome fruit/veggie stand down the road and got two, so we'll see how well they taste before mine are ready,lol. Haha, the worm was cute but my family prefers tomatoes that ARENT chewed on! Thanks for the info on the squash, that is really interesting. I was looking today and EVERY squash on that plant looks like that, so I think its going to have to be pulled up, I dont want it screwing up anything else.

Thanks, Robin!

Thanks, Beekissed! Everything that we've gotten so far that I will eat has been delicious. The beans were awesome! The tomatoes are doing really well, its great. I got 7 more today, and from what I've heard, they are delicious!

Thanks, Karan! I dont eat tomatoes, but the first Green Zebra I picked was terrible (says my grandma). Turns out I picked it a little too soon! lol. She ate a ripe one today and said it was really good, so I'd say I'll have another one in the garden next year.

Thanks, Bills! Yeah, it was pretty big. I actually prefer them to be big, they are easier to spot! lol. Eww, no thanks! My cousins would probably try it, haha!

C_B, today's harvest is even BIGGER. I usually get quite a bit, but I dont get stuff every day, usually every couple days. The yellow peppers are Golden Cayennes. They are really gorgeous.

Thanks, Nubs! It was really big, and my chicken didnt like it too much,lol. They are really mushy, so they feel pretty nasty,lol. Yeah, I bought all of them in pots from the nursery. I grew some from seeds, but never managed to find a spot to plant them!

Thanks, Bama! I never knew that about gourds, maybe its a good thing my ducks ate mine,lol. I dont know what would be bad for it to be pollinated with, its in my garden with everything else. I dont know how the Zebras taste, but my grandma said it was pretty good! Haha, thanks!

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful pic's of your garden produce! I am in watermelon envy right now as my watermelons have yet to flower.

I love your Green Zebra Tomato . I grew them a few years ago and got lot's of volunteer tomatoes the following year. They are a small to medium sized tomato, very pretty color, but for me I didnt love the taste. The flavor didnt appeal to my tastebuds, but their are alot of people who like the taste of Green Zebra, just as youll find as many who dont. But that is the same with any tomato, everyone has different tastebuds and preferences The same variety can be grown in different regions with different soil types and it all affects the taste of a tomato.

Again ...your garden is producing a bountiful beautiful crop of vegetables and fruits. Graet job and thanks for pic's.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Barefoot! That's horrible, haha. I hope yours start producing soon!

Thanks! I think they are beautiful, and my grandma said they actually taste good now. When we heard that they tasted like Yellow Pear, she was disappointed because she hates those things. But once she tasted them, she said they werent bad! Thanks again, I appreciate your comment.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
Great photos!

That is one big tomato hornworm! Darn near as big as a finger.:eek:

Perhaps you should try frying one in butter with a bit of garlic. Proabably tastes like a green tomato...;):lol:
Hornworms in butter and garlic? Not my kind of tomato taste.

The Green Zebra looks good, even though a little early. You should try them, remember there's a tomato for everyone!

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beautiful garden and vegs. Thank you for posting pictures.... I am envious that you have tomatos now....mine are green. What kind of a dog is in the background with the flower?

Anne

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Carlos. I wasnt sure when to pick them, so I just grabbed one! I think Im getting the hang of it,lol. I've been thinking about it, actually. I just havent ever found a tomato I'll eat, so Im wary.

Thanks, Anne! Umm, Ohh, hahaha, I didnt know what you were talkin about! That is my aunt's Great Dane!

Latest posts