Some pics of what's going on in my garden! DUW.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Well I watered my garden this morning and decided to snap some pictures. I'm pretty proud of it all at the moment, and Im getting some nice veggies right now!

Well, this is a flower, but I still think its gorgeous! My grandma bought an assortment of Glads, and two bloomed today. They were both the same color, of course!

385.jpg

I've had a thread going about this watermelon, but since its not growing as quick, I thought I'd post it here! its an Orange Tendersweet.

388.jpg

Then I found this cute little watermelon! This variety is supposed to stay pretty small, but I cant remember what its called! It either has pink or yellow flesh, depending on what plant its connected to,lol.

387.jpg

Then I found this nasty bugger on my Brandywine, and he went to the chickens! Dont get me wrong, I love bugs and think these guys are gorgeous, but that's my tomato!

397-1.jpg

Green Zebra Tomato...

402.jpg

And here is what I got today!

407-1.jpg

I also got this odd squash. It was like, green with yellow bumps all over it. I've never seen anything like it, so my grandma told me to toss it. Anyone know what caused this? Excuse the red hand, my friend attacked me with food coloring. :rolleyes:

408-1.jpg

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice looking haul you got there. That green zebra tomato, is that the szie it gets when ripe?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those look great, and very pretty flowers there!

Aren't those little ice box watermelons cute? You'll be enjoying them in no time!

What, you don't want to share with the worm? Tsk tsk! ;)

I can't say it's for sure the case, but there are 2 thoughts I have on the squash. Sometimes they revert back to their ancestors, which could be the case.

Also, there's a phenomenon with some squash (Was it in a row of yellow crooknecks, or straight necks?) in which a single squash is toxic. One of the state universities, I believe it is, asks you to send them squash which come up and are not right, when you are using pure seed, of course, or are bitter. They've been studying it, or at least, were. Never, ever eat a normal squash, like a crookneck, if it's bitter. Same goes for if it comes out spiny etc.

Your grandma, as always, was right just to toss it.

Thanks for the photos, the harvest looks fantastic! :)

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow nice pics. And info too. I had never heard that some squash were poisonous. I recall getting yellow crooknecks from the market and some where very bitter. I think we ate the mixed in with the rest, sauted in butter. hummm.....

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think what the deal is, is that not all bitter squash are toxic, but all toxic squash are bitter, so we were warned to not eat ones which were.

That came from a special newsletter about 15 years ago, through our certification organization. It explained the phenomenon, and gave us someone to contact in case we came across any, as they wanted to study them. I wish I knew where all my papers were, so I could quote exactly for you, but after this many years they are stored in a box somewhere.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are gorgeous pics! Make me hungry! Well, all except the worm.... :rolleyes: Everything looks very healthy and tastey! Lucky you to have ripe tomatoes....mine aren't even close! We get it later here.

I didn't know that about the squash, either. Guess ya' learn something new every day....and if you belong to these forums you learn several somethings new every day!! I think that is why they are so addictive, the thirst for knowledge is insatiable! :D

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OEGBman That's a beauitful harvest you have... :coolsun Great photos too
I have never tried the greenzebras let us know how they taste..
I too don't know for sure about the squash but do know that they have been known to cross pollunate (sp?) so I guess that is possable.
Oh I would have fed the worm to the ducks myself.....

As they said Grandma knows best.. :) :eek: take the voice of experence ..
:old As I have gotten older I see now where the wisdom was in those words
:he Dang that means my mother was right :he :he :barnie

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great photos!

That is one big tomato hornworm! Darn near as big as a finger.:eek:

Perhaps you should try frying one in butter with a bit of garlic. Proabably tastes like a green tomato...;):lol: