some summer wildflower pics

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now that its so easy to upload pics, I decided it would be nice to upload some from this summer. Gives me a good excuse to look back through some pictures with green in them! I think the IDs are correct, but please chime in if you see something that looks incorrect.

These were taken I think in July this year on the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park. Here's a link to a great description of the hike with more pictures if you're interested - Highline Trail. After the hike, I typed up a list of all the flowers I saw in bloom. Just the ones I could remember, and that I took pictures of to ID later, I came up with 52 species! Here's just a few:

Mountain Hollyhock
IMG_0519.JPG
Western St. Johns Wort
IMG_0514.JPG
Lyall's Phacelia (I think)
IMG_0507.JPG
Small Bog Laurel
IMG_0506.JPG
Pink Mountain-Heather:
IMG_0505.JPG
Bracted honeysuckle:
IMG_0498.JPG

Yellow Buckwheat (I think)
IMG_0497.JPG
Ummm I can't decide if this is Prarie Smoke or not...
IMG_0492.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked at your "I think" plants and I think you are right.

The one that I wonder about is the last. Wouldn't a yellow flower mean that they couldn't be Prairie Smoke? Other than that, I can't really see the plants well enuf.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked at your "I think" plants and I think you are right.

The one that I wonder about is the last. Wouldn't a yellow flower mean that they couldn't be Prairie Smoke? Other than that, I can't really see the plants well enuf.

Steve

Could it be a wild Geum? (Avens...)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, well that got me researching Avens...guess what, prairie smoke IS an avens, Geum triflorum, or long-plumed avens! I had no idea what a convoluted and diverse group the Avens are. I dont think its prairie smoke, but i dont know what it is...kinda too far away to get a good ID. I need to work on hubby's flower pictures technique, i just pointed to the ones i couldnt ID and he snapped pictures, but when we got back and i looked at them i realized how far away he was! I usually like to take at least one closeup and one of the plant overall.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He's generally a better scenery photographer than I am - some of the mountain shots I have put online are his. But...plants, he doesn't get. He calls them "growies" and knows that you plant them "green side up." That's from his landscaping days. :lol:

Latest posts