Someone must have spliced some rabbit genes into my cells...

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
'cause I've been out grazing in the garden like a bunny all weekend.

My cress is beautiful. I grew two types of it this year. The pepper cress sure is spicy! I've also been picking radish leaves and eating them before walking away, plus a few lettuce leaves here and there. Yummy! I'll admit that a couple of onions got sacrificed early, too!

A few more days and I can have all the lettuce and greens I could possibly manage to eat, and then some. The peas have quite a while to go, though. It's all been delayed by unseasonably cold weather this year.

I did start some warm weather seeds today. Hopefully, they'll germinate. I have enough that I can replant MOST (but not all) of those if I need to do so, but I'd rather not! Soon, I'll begin hardening off tomato seedlings and hot pepper seedlings. Sadly, I forgot to start green and banana pepper seedlings early on and they are far too pricey here at 3.29 per seedling. I started seedlings a few days ago, and a few more yesterday. They'll be behind, but I'll still get them out in mid to late May. I will lose about 3 weeks of harvest but at least I'll have some peppers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In zone 5, Rozzie!

Despite "unseasonably cold weather" . . !

About the only thing I've been eating on is the chives . . . good with scrambled eggs.

Steve

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL Yup, but I'm right on the line between 5A and 5B. We had really late frosts here this winter. Well, more than frosts, really. We had weather going down into the mid 20s on my lettuce. It grew right through it. I didn't cover it or anything. I have been weeding like crazy. Can't keep ahead of the weeds. It's a new garden patch, so I'm fighting grass a lot. The next patch will get black plastic to cook the grass, I think. I'm planning on doing that this summer. (Note to self: buy a roll of thick black plastic and get it down as soon as it gets hot.)

We're already mowing lawns here, I'm afraid. My baby apple and peach trees are starting to bloom. I won't let them set fruit, but I'll let them blossom out.

:)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose I should harvest some chives!!! No bragging, Rozzie! I have two tiny sprouts up in my lettuce flat... Ugh. I really hate NY State!!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job Rozzie! You have an amazing variety in your yard, glad to hear that you are already harvesting a bit. Did the pool as greenhouse idea work out?

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks!

The greenhouse isn't going to be a project for this year, or probably even next year. I can't put the money into it quite yet, especially because we've had a lot of extra medical expenses this year already and a lot more to come.

I will get a small harvest of fruit this year -- mainly raspberries, and a few handfuls of blackberries. I will get a harvest of blackberries off my other place. If I could spend some time there this summer I could put 20-30 gallons of berries in the freezer, but will be happy if I am able to get a couple of gallons. I don't get much time there lately...

I am enjoying my little harvest this year from this place, knowing that each year it will increase. By the time 4-5 years go by, I am hoping to be swimming in fruit!

Latest posts