Someone talk to me about Elephant garlic( I pulled it) update

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The elephant garlic is a lot milder in my opinion. I love to cook with it. We normally use it in stir fries and such. It goes really well with shrimp and veggies in a little soy sauce over rice. This is my first year growing it , but it seems to be doing well despite my first timer mistakes. I planted it last fall and mulched it pretty heavily. Since planting I really haven't done much at all with it , other than watch it grow.

When I cook with it I always slice it lengthwise as thin as possible as opposed to crushing it or grating it like you would with regular garlic. I really like the fact that it is milder , you can use more of it without overpowering other spices/flavors in a dish. I love it browned in a little bit of olive oil with some peppers and then put on a big juicy burger with a tomatoe......mmmm..... Must be getting close to lunch time. You guys are gonna make me talk myself into digging garlic today :lol:

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well I pulled it. I may have done it too soon but oh well. I think it is still big enough to eat :

6234_100_1038.jpg

What do you guys think? That's my trusty pint jar lid beside it , for perspective.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there jlmann :frow

Well I would be pretty pleased with it. I am definitely going to give it a try.
I have put my order in already at Thompson & Morgan.

Congatulations!

:rose Hattie :rose

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie! I actually thought it would be a little bit bigger. It's still not as big as ones that I've bought at farmers markets the last couple of years. Not bad for my first try!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MAGNIFICANT!!!

ok this fall I am going to plant some elephant garlic something new for me

thanks !

I am going to start looking for a nice head now however

what if I put a clove in a pot of dirt and kept it in a cool place in my house do you think I could coax one to grow like you do with other types of bulbs?

I am gong to try what is to loose?

Latest posts