something ate my knockout roses!

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Over the weekend I went out of town and when I came home my knockout roses had been munched to about 4" tall! Is there any chance they will come back?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are very hardy-I wouldn't give up hope. What the heck eats roses?? (Besides puppies?)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
They are very hardy-I wouldn't give up hope. What the heck eats roses?? (Besides puppies?)
All i can think of is aphids, but I don't think thats it.

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I never found any evidence of deer but we do have LOTS in the neighborhood! Is there something I can give them to promote foliar growth?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roses are tough, and I think Knockouts are grown on they're own roots also, so that's a plus. You can give them a triple 16 fertilizer this time of year, and they should bounce right back. But if it's deer eating them they'll be back and keep eating them before they get much growth back. I recommend a deer repellent (just google it and you'll find many) or there are recipes for homemade ones. I have a few favorite commercial ones I use that last a few months without washing off and don't reek.
Or you can build a wire cage over them. If you use black wire it is hardly noticeable .

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deer are kinda like goats - they will eat your roses down to nothing in no time flat! Thistlebloom is right, now that they know where the roses are, they will be back. They can be very persistent, too! For us, the mountain lion that hangs around is the best deterrent we have ever found! :ep Good luck with your battle!

Latest posts