Something is eating my bean sprouts..GRR!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have squirrels but they leave everything alone. They do dig in my beds, looking for peanuts that my neighbor feeds them. :/

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think a little discrimination is a good idea with squirrels.

First off -- ground squirrel should rate right at the bottom for any measure of tolerance, unless they are an endangered group. They are just devastating to a garden. Even chipmunks can be hard on it but there are some ground squirrels that "impersonate" real chipmunks (maybe just to gain a little sympathy).

Secondly -- I still don't quite understand the bad rap that tree squirrels get. The eastern grey squirrel is probably our most common tree squirrel in US towns & cities. They don't cause me a lot of trouble altho' they do eat some fruit off the peach tree & strawberries off the straw . . . And, they dig some holes (& plant walnuts).

I really believe that it is the fox squirrel that causes some gardeners so much grief. They are even considered agricultural pests in some farming areas.

If it is fox squirrels, Collector, and if I'm not mistaken - Asotin has these squirrels in their community. That was what I was told years ago when I wondered about the havoc these tree squirrels were causing in the city park. Hoodat has commented on the 2 species living, not so comfortably, together. It seems that they don't co-exist even tho' they don't look all that much different.

Probably, since everything else likes bean sprouts - an eastern grey squirrel will eat them at times, also. But, I have those guys coming into my smaller veggie garden and have just never found anything, that I could blame on them - other than the aforementioned holes and walnut seedlings.

Personally, I wouldn't live trap the ground squirrels we have around here. I'm uncertain where there is an environment that doesn't suffer from their presence. They don't deserve to be gone totally and everywhere but having them near a garden is terrible.

Steve
edited to make sure that it is clear that a fox squirrel, like the eastern grey, lives in trees

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just noticed a few of my pitiful stems (that had the leaves removed, by whatever culprit) are beginning to sprout new leaves... perhaps all is not lost.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not seen these squirrels my neighbor told me about, so I am not sure what they are! If it were them I am sure I would have seen them by now, so who knows. I havnt saw any sign of any critter out there so it is still unsolved. It might be the weather, bug, or varmint of some sort I am not to sure. Hey with the winds we have had today I am lucky any plant has any leaves or stems at all :duc.

Leif

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but I have ran into that same problem this year and last.. My guess would be chipmunks or squirrels.. Sounds like they're eating the bean when it comes up.. Most plants dont force the actual seed thru the topsoil and I've found chipmunks and squirrels find them very tasty.. Luckily it's a simple problem to fix... Buy some cheap clear plastic cups and poke holes in the bottom to allow airflow.. Plant your beans, water well, then put the cup on top pushing it just far enough into the soil so it won't blow off.. Not only will this act as a mini greenhouse, greatly decreasing grow time, but it should give your beans enough time to discard the seed leaving nothing the chipmunks will eat.. I hope that helps, happy gardening!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Leif! That sounds like a great idea- have to remember that for next year! Thanks!

plantlover

Sprout
Reaction score
I have the same problem, discovered just today, with my sprouting Scarlet Runner Beans.

I usually plant in pots and boxes on my rather large elevated deck. It's about 3.5 feet off the ground. This year I am power washing and staining so I went to the ground and put my pots and boxes on top of pallets.

Some of the young plants are perfect. Some are chewed off at the stem as they sprouted. Some have leaf damage that looks like chewing.

I live in a port city in Nova Scotia. We do have a rat issue and always have. I have seen them running around. Squirrels are infrequent visitors in this neighborhood. If it's slugs, they have to get up two pallets thickness from the ground and then over the side of the container. They are on the ground. So it's possibly them. One of my friends who gardens by the ocean has a big slug problem and puts a copper mesh band around all his containers.Tonight in the late darkness I will go out with a flashlight.

Right now, I am guessing, some kind of insect. I think rats or even raccoons or whatever mammal would likely clean a box in one fell swoop (I realize this relates more to feathers than fur, but I borrow anyway), rather than nibble here and there. One culprit that comes to mind which is prevalent and voracious around here is the earwig. I will be looking tonight for slug and earwig infestation.

plantlover

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fell pests!!

I have center posts in my greenhouse that are 9'. The south wall is at a slant so the slugs that start on the floor and leave a slime trail nearly all the way to the top on the inside of the plastic film, are traveling about 9'.

Wow! That's a run-on sentence but I had motivation. Like those slugs that know if they don't get outta that greenhouse they will have irresistible toxic treats sprinkled out for them!

BTW - welcome to TEG!

:) Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a problem before with a rat. It started at the end of a row nearest where it had its nest and ate one or two bean plants a day/night as they sprouted. It just started at one end and worked its way down the row. I happened to see it when I was out there in the middle of the day so I knew what to trap. That ended the problem.

I've had a lot of trouble with those cute little cottontail rabbits. One year I shot 16 out of the garden before I got all of the ones that were eating my beans as they sprouted. This year I've had to remove a few to stop them form eating the beans as they sprout. Rabbits can destroy several plants a night.

I've had problems with cutworms, but with yours up on pallets that's probably not it.

Could you post a photo of that leaf damage? It's very possible what is eating the leaves is not what is cutting the plant off. And is the plant left after it is cut off or is the entire plant eaten?

Yep, Welcome. Glad you joined. :frow

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the same problem, discovered just today, with my sprouting Scarlet Runner Beans.

I usually plant in pots and boxes on my rather large elevated deck. It's about 3.5 feet off the ground. This year I am power washing and staining so I went to the ground and put my pots and boxes on top of pallets.

Some of the young plants are perfect. Some are chewed off at the stem as they sprouted. Some have leaf damage that looks like chewing.

I live in a port city in Nova Scotia. We do have a rat issue and always have. I have seen them running around. Squirrels are infrequent visitors in this neighborhood. If it's slugs, they have to get up two pallets thickness from the ground and then over the side of the container. They are on the ground. So it's possibly them. One of my friends who gardens by the ocean has a big slug problem and puts a copper mesh band around all his containers.Tonight in the late darkness I will go out with a flashlight.

Right now, I am guessing, some kind of insect. I think rats or even raccoons or whatever mammal would likely clean a box in one fell swoop (I realize this relates more to feathers than fur, but I borrow anyway), rather than nibble here and there. One culprit that comes to mind which is prevalent and voracious around here is the earwig. I will be looking tonight for slug and earwig infestation.

plantlover
Woodchucks are voracious and will eat a whole row of beans in one meal.

Latest posts