Something is eating my taters!!

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went out today after a good hard rain, to check the garden. My potatos leaves are full of little holes, and there are these super tiny little black beetle looking bugs on them. Anyone know what they are? I sprinkled with DE..will this work on a beetle type bug? These beetles are super tiny.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like flea beetles, did they jump? I don't know if De will work on them if your plants are good size chances are they probably won't do enough damage to make a difference, the plants just won't look real good.

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, they jumped. Flea Beetles!?? Thats a new one to me! I have never seen anything like them before...and I have been gardening for years! Did they come with my seed potatos? The potatoes are about 2 ft covered already, I did them in wire cages....layering straw and compost and some soil. Flea Beetles!?? Yikes!
OK, I looked them up, and YES, thats what they are....then the article goes on to say this....
Chemical Controls
Garden insecticides containing carbaryl (Sevin), spinosad, bifenthrin and permethrin can provide fairly good control for about a week. However, to protect seedlings, applications usually must be reapplied. The plants produce continuous new growth and the highly mobile beetles may rapidly reinvade plantings. As with all pesticides, carefully read and follow all label directions. Pay particular attention to ensure that any flea beetle insecticides being considered are properly registered for use on the crop.

Diatomaceous earth is one of the more effective repellents, applied as a dry powder to the plants. Horticultural oils and some neem insecticides also have some repellent effect on this insect.
Thanks SO MUCH!!

Latest posts