Something to doooo! Genealogy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
TEG would be in trouble if I did, JackB! No, mostly it just comes from knowing folks who knew these people . . .

The LDS church people has really done some work on genealogy! There is even a book about Dad's family that starts with the first guy who shows up from Great Britain. He has a Dutch name but there are at least some records of his arrival in colonial times. Then, they've sorted things out down to the Mormon families.

Problem there is that Dad's line didn't go that route. If I just follow back to Aunt Sis and my great grandfather Henry - it takes a "leap of faith" to find a connection. If these folks came off the Trail of Tears, it's what could have been expected. Dad's mother's family is almost more of mystery, if that's possible. I had a picture shown me of her father with a revolver strapped to his leg. Gun was nearly as big as that little Texan!

Mom's side it's easy enough to go back to Sylvia's father and her father-in-law for that matter - the patriarch of the Idaho pioneers. Then, because Mom has a famous Canadian pianist for a "cousin," I can follow Mom's father's family back to when they left the south of England. My maternal grandfather really seemed to want to remove himself from that family, however - I wonder if I should honor that. Famous cousin or not . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary Hensley.jpg

Here is Sylvia's youngest daughter's grave. The cemetery, with its 214 recorded graves, is about all that is left of Bancroft, Missouri. There is one farm house.

Mary was born and died on the same day in 1895.

By the following year, Sylvia's family was in Idaho. Along with her husband Julian, were her other 4 children, Julian's sister and her husband and their 3 children, and Julian's father and mother.

Julian's sister's name was Missouri Ann :).

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's always so sad to come across a baby's grave. :( There is such a high proportion of them in those old cemeteries. They lost children much more often back then.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandmother was a twin. She lost her twin sister when they were 6 years old.

In this same little cemetery, there are 3 more graves of my grandmother's cousins. They were Missouri Ann's children with her and her husband's names on a "children of. . ." headstone.

The dates for 2 are a year later than Mary's. I think it was time to move on.

Steve

Latest posts