Something Unusual in your Yard

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
P1000121.JPG
This probably doesnt look like much- a couple of Elephant Garlic growing well...but....
These have somehow self grown from the ones I yanked out of the ground last year, I didnt plant them this year.

They are growing in my bed of old fashioned strawberries. I was asked by a friend of my mom to keep this old type going and thought it would be just the thing to act as a living mulch for my Lemonade lemon tree. They live together beautifully and have never been watered since being established. the only feed they get is the occasional bucket or two of woodchip scattered over them.

I had no where to put the Elephant garlic, so as an experiment, I planted the corms in this bed. Some of the plants didnt do too well and when I checked them out, I discovered that these ones had not been planted deep enough. The ones that were planted deep down into the soil, not just in amongst the strawbeeries were doing really well.
The ones that were too high up were suffering from root/stem root.

These two are alot more advanced than those I planted in fall, one almost looks like its ready to be harvested..not too far away.

So for my next experiment, I think I will do a whole row or two along the front of the bed.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This afternoon, I was minding my own business, sitting by my #1 hive when I noticed a couple of butterflies that were behaving oddly so I watched.
At first I thought I was seeing a mating flight but then realised that it was a Monarch butterfly being chased by a much smaller Yellow Admiral.
Had to wonder what the outcome of that would be.

roger1NP

Leafing Out
Reaction score
over in the wooded area, the remains of some kind of pump/spring/wellhouse. the building is too far gone to know anything about it, just a pile of bricks around a sunken circle of pavers that holds water from the nearby shallow stream

Rose, it would be much easier, if you would use permeable pavers at that time, when you were doing it first time and now. It's way more effective and reliable than asphalt. If you would want to clear a layer of an asphalt - it would not so easy, and talking of permeable pavers - it's easy to do that as hell.

Latest posts