Sorghum

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Imagine my surprise today when I checked on the pole Coco de Belle Isle (network beans) that I planted alongside Ba-Ye-Qi sorghum, and found that the sorghum is sending up a seed head!. The pole bean and sorghum are each almost 5' tall. I just have five plants of each, but it is my most robust of several small sorghum patches. There are several others planted in different locations with various bean varieties, and none is as tall and healthy as this one. We are in the midst of a three month stretch of hot, dry weather and I think in some areas of the garden even the sorghum is beginning to suffer from the drought.

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_195946826.jpg
    IMG_20230719_195946826.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230719_200014845.jpg
    IMG_20230719_200014845.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well Eleanor, it is still a work in progress. The first three small patches produced a few short stalks that were looking pretty good, and then before the sorghum was ready to harvest the flower heads disappeared. I did not see it happen, however I am assuming that it was a squirrel or a rat that severed the tops and ran off with them. There are still a few stalks ripening now, and I am hopeful that I will be able to cut and dry them before critters get them. Given that I am new to this I am not 100% sure how to know when they should be harvested for grain. I tested them once by pressing my fingernail on the little spheres and they were still soft and pliable, so I figured they needed to mature a bit more.

As support poles for beans they did not perform well, which may have been a result of our hot dry weather. They grew too slowly so the pole beans had nothing to cling to. However, I am noticing that the last patch has much taller sorghum, now that the rains have returned; the sorghum is finally taller than the bean plants. If I try sorghum bean poles again I will give the sorghum a two or three week head start before I plant the beans, and I will try to give them more water.

The last issue that we had with sorghum was rust-- lots of it-- but the rust didn't seem to hurt the plants. From what I read rust is species-specific, so it did not affect the pole beans either.

On the plus side is now I know what sorghum plants look like, and I will definitely try to grow them again. They were quite a conversation starter, with many people asking me about the 'corn' that I was growing. :)

Latest posts