Sour June Plum

Chicken Wrangler

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So today I saw that my June plums were yellow and falling off the tree. I took them and tried one. Apparently they are supposed to be sweet but these were sour. I’ve also seen that people cook them and make a drink out of them. Am I doing something wrong and is that why they taste like that?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So today I saw that my June plums were yellow and falling off the tree. I took them and tried one. Apparently they are supposed to be sweet but these were sour. I’ve also seen that people cook them and make a drink out of them. Am I doing something wrong and is that why they taste like that?

i'm sorry that i have no experience growing plums, but because i am generally interested in about anything gardening and i had a few moments i did some basic searches to see if my intuition was right (that growing plums in FL may be difficult).

so the first obvious question i couldn't answer easily (i didn't look much more :) ) is the particular plum tree you have suitable for FL?

and please also describe the location and conditions of the soil and anything else you can which will give people here a chance to figure it out. the more information you provide the better chances are someone will know or be able to give more clues or ask better questions.

full sun is probably a good thing for any varieties that are suited to that area, but for one not suited that may be a part of the problem. dunno. :)

is it an older tree?

Chicken Wrangler

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i'm sorry that i have no experience growing plums, but because i am generally interested in about anything gardening and i had a few moments i did some basic searches to see if my intuition was right (that growing plums in FL may be difficult).

so the first obvious question i couldn't answer easily (i didn't look much more :) ) is the particular plum tree you have suitable for FL?

and please also describe the location and conditions of the soil and anything else you can which will give people here a chance to figure it out. the more information you provide the better chances are someone will know or be able to give more clues or ask better questions.

full sun is probably a good thing for any varieties that are suited to that area, but for one not suited that may be a part of the problem. dunno. :)

is it an older tree?
No it’s a super young tree. I’m guessing yhis is it’s first fruit. Maybe that’s the problem?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a search for sour june plums, they are nothing like the plums I'm used to so I have zero experience with them. I think they ae supposed to be sour, it's in the name. I don't think they ever get sweet as they ripen.

From what I read online and what you posted I think that is what you are supposed to get.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if that is the actual name of the plum and not the description that CW used to talk about the plum tree's results. yes, that would make sense. i just assumed that CW was just describing the fact that the plums were sour and not that the tree was actually called that. haha... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a search for sour june plums, they are nothing like the plums I'm used to so I have zero experience with them. I think they ae supposed to be sour, it's in the name. I don't think they ever get sweet as they ripen.

From what I read online and what you posted I think that is what you are supposed to get.

that's a good point (like the one on top of my head :) ). :)

Chicken Wrangler

Leafing Out
Reaction score

Oh okay that makes sense, thanks for the help

Latest posts