Southwest ohio here.

Merelyatheory

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first year of gardening. My family have gardened my whole life and to be honest I was lazy and not reliable enough to have living things under my charge. I now find it an obsession. I sometimes can't sleep for the fear of rabbits, raccoons, deer and the like. I found one of those horned tomato caterpillars on a Roma plant I started early this winter indoors and I almost lost it. I didn't squeal or anything, I just panicked. I then spent the rest of the day turning over every leaf on every one of my then thirty some odd tomato plants. I checked the Peppers after that just to be certain. This wasn't the first time I ran into bug troubles. The striped cucumber beetles have tried to eat everything from my sunflowers to.....well.....my cucumbers and almost everything in between. I have turned into a lean mean beetle killing machine since. I am very much like a new parent. I have not had a child yet myself but I have watched them from afar. I refuse to hold a child until he/she can legally hold a factory job and by that point it would be inappropriate. It goes back to the not being reliable for another living thing, That is why I am gardening. I thought Baby steps, right? In some ways though I think it is a little harder. Correct me if I am wrong but I am not sure parents have to worry about deer in the night while trying to sleep or finding a caterpillar has eaten a few of their child's fingers and being glad he didn't wiggle his way over to the other hand or god forbid eaten an ear. Right now I want to grab my flashlight and go check and make sure they are all safe, I am sure that is universal though. I remember the first day I set my tomatoes outside to harden them, I was a mess. I kept looking out the window, waving like an idiot to plants, wondering if it was a mistake and maybe it was too soon for them. I remember my parents acting the same way when I went to school for the first time. Yeah Baby steps. I now feel like the proud, paranoid parent of over a hundred plants. With their own enemies, weaknesses, loves and hates. The all coexist in my backyard and I really don't want it any other way. I guess it is just something you can't understand until you have a garden of your own. Well yeah, I am new, See you around. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Merely, Welcome!

Remember this is The Easy Garden. You have to find ways to overcome your fears and tell us about those as well. First of all, there are all sorts of things out there with Mother Nature that you cannot control. Experience and information will help you with your activities and TEG is here to help. I often think a little more about what I am up to (or should be up to) because of the help I find here :).

So, you aren't in this alone. Yep, Mother Nature and The Easy Garden community . . . ;)

I remember looking at word origins for "garden" at one time. Perhaps I've forgotten what I discovered, but this may be right: The word garden and guard have a similar origin. It has to do with a guarded space. So, yes! We should be guarding our gardens - it is in our heritage as gardeners.

Simpatico . . . I like to think that word has meaning for me in the garden. I try to see the world from the plant's point of view. That's real difficult. Plants aren't humans. They aren't even animals. Garden plants are a step up from one-cell algae! Yeast.

I used to have a community garden plot. Whoa! Amongst the worse pests were 2-legged ones! Some folks have very different ideas about their relationship with Mother Nature.

Before you reach the point where you are just throwing the backdoor open and firing off shots in random directions, be sure to check with the gardeners here on TEG.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Merely, welcome!! I'm guessing you're going to have a nice long gardening season in Ohio?? I'm jealous! :) Don't stress so much...you are GOING to loose plants, one way or another...it's all part of the learning process! And yeah...it's a bummer, but really not that HUGE of a deal when you look at the big picture. I mean, as we've discussed here before on some other thread, it's not the dark ages, you can always go to the market and pick up something for dinner! :celebrate

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to gardening! The easiest way to find a horn worm is they leave black waste below the tomato plants they visit. So no worries. Plants unlike children grow new leaves so don't panic. I have a slight problem with coons but I deal with them with extreme prejudice. Deer do not like to go into a fenced area and they do not like rosemary. One or the other will help with that problem. Next year you will be more at ease and enjoy it like we do.

Merelyatheory

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome. I do have to learn to let go, take it easy and lose a few plants. I guess that is why I am here. The collective knowledge of the members of this forum is almost like a pacifier. I have been without the internet for the majority of the time I have had my garden. I use the internet, need it. It is my outlet to the world and inlet for new information. Without it I was left to guess. Until I got back on the web the only instructions I had were on the back of the seed packet. I have been digging around and I have to say that there is a great wealth of ideas and friendly people here. I have stumbled onto threads from this forum during google searches numerous times and I figured I might join in. Once again thanks 8)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG. There are a lot of knowledgable members here willing to help you. I am not one of them though, I am still trying to get through my first season with a full vegetable garden. So far so good!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome ! :frow

Until I got back on the web the only instructions I had were on the back of the seed packet.
:lol: Yes, those certainly leave a lot to be desired. You'll learn a lot on here. Have fun!

Latest posts