Speaking of liver spots.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry that I have been away from the garden for a while. A few months ago I had to have some tests done and the results came back indicating that a minor exploratory surgery was needed. The results of the surgery were conclusive. I have a malignant growth on my liver. Possibly something going on in my lymph system as well. The first two weeks of chemo wasn't too bad but as soon as I started the radiation treatments something started to go wrong. Lots of tests resulted in a formula change in my chemical cocktails as I was getting sicker and sicker every day until I had to spend last Sunday and Monday night in the hospital. Physically things are a tiny bit better after the chemo formula change but I'm really struggling with the psychological aspect of having the big "C".

I've always been an upbeat and positive kind of guy. I have always been full of life and raring to go when opportunity knocks. But this time is totally different - I can't seem to clear my head of depressing thoughts and a gloomy outlook. Sunday evening my fishing buddy brought an iPad to me at the hospital because he knows that I get so much enjoyment from hanging out with my friends like here at TEG and surfing the 'net. But I had no desire at all in getting on the internet.

Oh well, just a minor set-back and I'll be back out there with my chickens, rabbits, and plants in no time at all :) Pretty soon I'll have to change my screen name to "Chrome Dome".

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Howdy Smiles! It's nice to meet you. I am so sorry to hear you are having health issues. I pray that your doctors can arrest it and restore your health. I can only imagine how very draining it has to be going through that process. I hope you feel more positive soon and we see more of you here!
My sister in law is in the same battle . She told me that she now knows it is true that people who are married begin to look alike. She and my brother have been married for 43 years. She said now they are both bald and are ready to go places much more quickly than before. :ep

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear such news. I will add you and your situation to my daily prayers.

Just got out of surgery on Wednesday. Every time someone at the hospital wished me "good luck" I told them I didn't expect luck to be a factor. I was counting on good doctors and good care.

Therefore, I'm wishing you good doctors, good care, and good results to get you back smiling in the dirt a.s.a.p.

Hugs and love, Smart Red

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, you have been away a couple of weeks and there was something back then about "strong drugs" . . .

I hope you can stay away from things that make you feel worse while you enjoy those things that make you feel better. It must be plenty taxing just dealing with the chemotherapy. I am sorry.

You said that you are kind of in the middle of nowhere but support group meetings used to be of real help to me when I was dealing with a difficult situation. If there is a person with some professional training to provide guidance to the group, that is best. Is there any information about any groups in your part of the world? They might be a good thing for you, too.

I think you better hold on to that fishing buddy.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, so sorry to hear of your difficulty. :hugs I'll be asking God to give your doctors extra wisdom and give your body the ability to battle this. I noticed you were not here, and hoped it wasn't bad news. Hang on, and hang in there.

Bald is beautiful! Just ask my DH!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you and your wonderful avatars of smiles have been missed the last couple of weeks. I hope things start to go better for you. I too will be praying for your health.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smiles, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm no psychologist or whatever, but i would think it pretty "normal" to be struggling with this, mentally, even when we know you usually have such a positive outlook on life. Your posts have definitely shown that! My thoughts are with you and your family.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles- your wonderful attitude will shine through. Cancer is a lot to get your head around, when you first find out. I am a survivor- more than 10 years now. When I look back on the experience, I remember some dark nights- but in the end it was just a bump in the road- an unexpected turn. Having cancer really changed my life for the better. Strangely, it was kind of easy to take life for granted... I find I am more appreciative of the little things now. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep smiling!